6'' cove cornice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirk johnstone

Private Member
whats the best way to go about making one of these? i was going to set 1/4'' stop beads around the room and round it in with hardwall then skim it ???

kirk johnstone said:
whats the best way to go about making one of these? i was going to set 1/4'' stop beads around the room and round it in with hardwall then skim it ???
Thats the way I've done repairs on em but your gonna have a tw*t of a job gettin the corners right.
Is it a repair?

PhilPlaster said:
kirk johnstone said:
Thats the way I've done repairs on em but your gonna have a tw*t of a job gettin the corners right.
Is it a repair?

no mate its a living room that i am going to skim and its just square at the mo but the woman wants a bigger cove than the stuff you get from the local builders yard, might even make it 7 or 8 inch. what do you mean about the corners mate?

kirk johnstone said:
PhilPlaster said:
kirk johnstone said:
Is it a repair?

no mate its a living room that i am going to skim and its just square at the mo but the woman wants a bigger cove than the stuff you get from the local builders yard, might even make it 7 or 8 inch. what do you mean about the corners mate?
Well your forming them from scratch and all four have to be perfect. No shakey lines. If you find it a bugger doin curved ceilings were one wall meets the other (corners) then wait till yer forming them from sctatch.

You can buy 6" straight run cornice for about £25 for a 3.3 metre length. Surely it's not worth f**k**g about with stop beads etc?

TonyM said:
You can buy 6" straight run cornice for about £25 for a 3.3 metre length. Surely it's not worth (french word)ing about with stop beads etc?

Exactly, you either buy ready made cornice, run a cornice in situ or design a pattern/size that the client likes and make it youself on a bench. Stop beads PMSL :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PhilPlaster said:
kirk johnstone said:
PhilPlaster said:
kirk johnstone said:
Is it a repair?

Well your forming them from scratch and all four have to be perfect. No shakey lines. If you find it a bugger doin curved ceilings were one wall meets the other (corners) then wait till yer forming them from sctatch.

oh i see what you mean. thats no prob i have done loads this way, but just wanted to see if anyone had a better way to do it :) i dont form the cove free hand, i run it with a profile that i will make out of plywood and do all the opposite walls butting right up to the adjacent wall, then let it go hard, then do the other walls and get as far into the corner as possible and let that go hard then fill in the last little bit of the corner an rule it off with my shortest feather edge.
this way i find that it gets the cove the same all the way round and you also get true mitres.

hope i explained that in a way that it can be understood :)

Yeh but i've only repaired short coving as long as its smooth. If its been anything over a certain length then Id buy a length.
As for patterned cornice f*ck that mate.

PhilPlaster said:
Yeh but i've only repaired short coving as long as its smooth. If its been anything over a certain length then Id buy a length.
As for patterned cornice f*ck that mate.

£25 a length is abit dear though aint it, oh an am getting hardwall for £2 a bag. ;)

kirk johnstone said:
PhilPlaster said:
kirk johnstone said:
Is it a repair?

What about two strips of plasterboard on top of each other staggered and then normal coving on top giving you two extra segments.

flynnyman said:
kirk johnstone said:
PhilPlaster said:
kirk johnstone said:
Is it a repair?

What about two strips of plasterboard on top of each other staggered and then normal coving on top giving you two extra segments.

that looks very nice mate and i have done this also, the woman has got the normal coving right through the whole house and wants to carry the theme through but its a big living room so she just wants it a bit bigger so it dont look out of place

What you save in cost of buying will be far offset by the time you formed it all.

I'd deffinately buy it in mate.

TP ellesmere port, two weeks out of date, did the cove today. looks great an i also chamfered all the angles on chimny breast and windows because i had loads of hardwall left over. the woman was made up :)

going back to skim it all tomorrow ;) £600 cash! nice ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.