advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty

Hi everyone.
Can anyone help with the best place to advertise. i have 2 thousand leaflets going out and have an ad in paper but still no calls. :(

word of mouth is the best advert going, i tend not to advertise anymore tried it once and spent more evenings in my van driving around pricing jobs up that most of time i never got.
stood in someones house at 7 pm to tell them its goin to be £££ and see their face drop is not for me.
good luck tho mate

hi marty
how many other plastering adds are in the paper and how many weeks have you advertising,as for the leaflet drops never had any response myself from those just think when you get a leaflet through the door what do you do with it quick glance and chuck it away,also does your advert stand out from the rest or does it just blend in .
get your leaflets up in as many local shops, post offices, builders merchants ,electrical merchants,cafes, any where you can think of make sure they put it in a place so if you was at the till you would notice. also carry some cards with you every time you do a job for someone leave them half a dozen
hopfully you will soon build up a good word of mouth customer base.
youve gotto be like dog s*it everywhere
good luck

hi marty
how many other plastering adds are in the paper and how many weeks have you advertising,as for the leaflet drops never had any response myself from those just think when you get a leaflet through the door what do you do with it quick glance and chuck it away,also does your advert stand out from the rest or does it just blend in .
get your leaflets up in as many local shops, post offices, builders merchants ,electrical merchants,cafes, any where you can think of make sure they put it in a place so if you was at the till you would notice.  also carry some cards with you every time you do a job for someone leave them half a dozen
good luck
do shops charge you to place a leaflet in the window?

How big is your budget Marty - Like Mac says, you may only get a 1% hit rate with those leaflets and even they are not guaranteed work - I too have a large stash of flyers in my van that I had envisaged distributing in the first week but they are still there 3 years later !!

£400 will get you a decent pitch in Yellow Pages and Yell.com which is where alot of my new work comes from.

Got business cards ??? Get a graphic design shop to blow up one of your cards to 'site board' size on a waterproof backing - My local design shop charges 30 quid for a 3foot by 2 foot board - If you can run to 2 or 3 , get em done and then leave them in prominent positions (on roundabouts or at busy junctions) or outside houses you are working in - Works wonders chief !

hi marty
get your leaflets up in as many local shops, post offices, builders merchants ,electrical merchants,cafes, any where you can think of make sure they put it in a place so if you was at the till you would notice.  also carry some cards with you every time you do a job for someone leave them half a dozen
good luck
do shops charge you to place a leaflet in the window?

chap on my college course enquired in a local corner shop about advertising in the window and the bloke said it was 5p a week or something daft! so he popped back in with a big sign haha and its still up after 2 years! but only had a few jobs from it, word of mouth all the way really people want people they can trust and if someone recomends you and you give a fair price your 95% going to get the work.

----

tho if you've been called by a customer who has just read your ad somewhere you have to sell yourself, turning up 10 minutes late and not appologising for being late and just going in, quick measuring up and saying yeah ill do that for £250 isnt really going to be good enough, show some enthusiasm and feed them some stuff, mention you'll do this that way and that this way as it will benefit them more because of x reason and use the fuel prices and stuff to your advantage, say you can still get supplies at the old price as your supplier has some old stock left or say you luckily bought in bulk before the recession got wose and got materials cheap while you could and mentin how much they have gone up etc and say your happy to offer it to them at the same price as you dont make money on materials anyway, just charge for labour, customers like to feel they are saving money and if you do that bit extra to make them feel they are saving a small fortune then whats stopping them from choosin you? you with experience, knowledge, friendly, helping to keep their costs down, or joe bloggs who strolls up and just says yeah ill do it for £250 or whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.