Advice please.

Allan79

Hi I have a quick question and would like help if possible.

So in my kitchen, the wall has been taken back to brick. It's not got a cavity and other side of wall is external. Plasterer has applied blue grit. My question is he is using hard wall to thicken up the wall ready to be skimmed but from what I've read blue grit should not be use first. Is this going to be a problem now or is that normal?

He not coming back to finish due to personal reasons. Thanks for help

Hi I have a quick question and would like help if possible.

So in my kitchen, the wall has been taken back to brick. It's not got a cavity and other side of wall is external. Plasterer has applied blue grit. My question is he is using hard wall to thicken up the wall ready to be skimmed but from what I've read blue grit should not be use first. Is this going to be a problem now or is that normal?

He not coming back to finish due to personal reasons. Thanks for help

Personal reasons? You pissed him off?

Personal reasons? You pissed him off?
No no nothing like that. Just having kitchen done and that 1 wall was was worst. Pricing various things and just read bonding attracts damp so worried me as it's a wall with no cavity space. No issues with damp so just after advice to ease own mind. Didnt want to do kitchen then run into problems later. As guy above says bonding no issues kinda relieved.

No no nothing like that. Just having kitchen done and that 1 wall was was worst. Pricing various things and just read bonding attracts damp so worried me as it's a wall with no cavity space. No issues with damp so just after advice to ease own mind. Didnt want to do kitchen then run into problems later. As guy above says bonding no issues kinda relieved.

Personally I wouldn't use bonding on brickwork on an external solid wall...especially when you have units in front. Bonding is notorious for wicking moisture. If it's a kitchen you are best of dry lining.

Personally I wouldn't use bonding on brickwork on an external solid wall...especially when you have units in front. Bonding is notorious for wicking moisture. If it's a kitchen you are best of dry lining.
Would that be the best option then? What about the blue grit that's already on the wall? Sorry I re read my description afterwards, he is coming back but couple of weeks due to personal reasons. Would this be best something to mention? He could possibly have done this blue grit to bond due to fact no units will be full length just in corners of the walls up to press. (Wife could change ideas on this like )

You wont get a good fix for wall units with plasterboard .

all gypsum based material attracts damp

A "good" fix .

Here’s a good fix for you
93FE60C2-43E9-4A9E-8D63-B7B05581550E.jpeg

Would that be the best option then? What about the blue grit that's already on the wall? Sorry I re read my description afterwards, he is coming back but couple of weeks due to personal reasons. Would this be best something to mention? He could possibly have done this blue grit to bond due to fact no units will be full length just in corners of the walls up to press. (Wife could change ideas on this like )

Hard to know without seeing. You might not have any damp issues using bonding (I never use hardwall but didn't realise you can't use it over grit?)

Personally I would use rendagrip followed by sand/cement or dry line a solid wall...even better use Insulated plasterboard...less likely to have condensation issues behind units.

What's the best option now he's put blue grit down or do I just leave him to it when he comes back. Really worried now regarding bonding? Also plasterboard? Any guidance? Thanks
Blue grit is water soluble even when dry. I can be removed basically.

If you're worried about damp, blue grit could delaminate.

If you can't be arsed to get it off, you'd be best with salt resistant (damp) plasters.

Search for

Wykamol plaster.

Or

Safeguard dry zone plaster.

Your guy may or may not be familiar with them, and they cost more. Also slightly longer drying times. Allow for all of this!

Hardwal
No spec as such for a single skin wall, it’s more about the material and suction. No plasterer in their right mind would use a gypsum product on a single skin wall though
Hardwall replaced renovation plaster and was told by BG hardwall is fine for that purpose