advise on band work please!!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright lads! im after some advise. ive got a job coming up where there is an arch on the front door and they want band work going around the arch. how can i get a perfect semi circle around the arch? i can do bands around windows ect but never come across an arch. cheers:RpS_thumbup:

i modified 4 sets of arch bead to do this, not band work i know but you might be able to do something similar...
took feckin ages to set up, you might be better making a template from mdf, maybe 25mm stuff? how thick you want the band?

ry%3D400

you gotta return it into a frame like a reveal or is there any framework almost flush?

double edge template? should be able to cut it from an 8x4 sheet of mdf but its a case of attaching your quality jigsaw to a trammel...

by trammel i mean long (radius) length peice of upvc d mould or thin doorstop timber or similar...
bung a screw in one end bang in the centre of the arch on a full sheet... attach the jigsaw to the other end at the exact radius and use the trammel to guide you round the curve...
run a sander over the cut edge but if youve cut it right you shouldnt need much...

if you dont get any formwork absolutely smack on then its gonna look terrible once youve rendered it cos youll never be able to tidy it up freehand... never in a million years...

might be able to do something by fixing something across the opening to give you a rigid centre, using a trammel again and using the radius end of the trammel to hold a tool against to 'cut' the edge in ashlar stylie as it firms right up?

ye mate i got to return it to a reveal. going to be a pain in the arse to do but will look nice when its done! hopefully any way! cheers chris mate much appreciated:RpS_thumbup:

worth the effort though mate... stick around, lots of the others have a better idea than me.. prolly get some loverly little tips and tricks on this one...

use an external plastic 20mm bead cut into it every couple of inches and it will bend just cut the mesh bit

For the last archway job I done I used some plastic strips that window fitters have, came out alright:RpS_thumbup:

006_1_~1.JPG

Last edited:
Are you a bit of a hippie bubbles , you seem to like rustic plastering and the old wall look. Nice work, I can see you like rendering.

bit of an artisan is our bubbles.. must have been a right bitch that one... :RpS_thumbup:

what was it before mate? dont tell me it was pargetting or flexiwallcrete... i'll be heartbroken.. :RpS_crying:

Nah - just a knackered old plain render chris......What would you lads have charged? Hack off, splattercoat, scratch and top-coat. How much? See if I'm too cheap:rolleyes)

A lot of fecking about ,not much to spend on gear. I reckon for me £300 yer like I say you have to have a good trowel skill to do it.

its the bead setting that takes the time, and a friggin good eye, as well as the intelligence to use a tape measure...

stickin with me price....
5 on a good day, 4 if im struggling.... gotta nail it in 2 days... or cumulative 2 days anyway..

It was a right fiddly thing to do, setting the plastic strips and then putting a string-line accross them to make sure they were properly aligned.:RpS_thumbup: .... Look at the height of it - it was bang on eye-level for everyone walking by so I wanted to make sure it was right. I priced it too cheap in hindsight, but you can only guess sometimes as to how long a job will take.........I enjoyed doing it though :RpS_wink:

That looks f**Kin mega fela, real profesional job!:RpS_thumbup:

Hope it was a good earner fela coz that sort of jobs seperates the wheat from the chaf!

zombie

I done it for £540 :RpS_crying: ...............The real price should have been about £650 -£700.

First day chipped it all off, being careful not to collapse them arches, plus applied a splatterdash for a good key/tighten all the bricks up.

Second day scratch coat, which took all day with setting out the plastic strips on string-line, then left it to settle for about 10 days, BUT... I did call past it to make sure the cleaner had soaked it for me (good lass)

Third day top-coated everything except for the internals/underneath of the arches.

Fourth day was a couple of hours finishing off the internals and holding me hand out for the dosh :RpS_thumbup:

Yeah, I suppose it was, especially as my other price was £300 to knock the arches off and render what was left, but she wasn't having any of that henry - a good little feature for her pub:RpS_thumbup: ...............and I've had 1 other job off it up to now.

Status
Not open for further replies.