Any dvd/youtube/book recommendations?

Members online

You read it different to me, he wants to have a go on his own house because mad quotes put him off getting someone in
It comes across to me that he looks down on us lowly tradesmen because anyone can do what we do, whereas his job of work is so superior to ours he needs qualifications, You put your hand in your pocket to get a start at this and then carried on until you could make a living. I have no issue with someone trying to save money but I do have an issue with people thinking they are better than me.

Well you've totally got me wrong. I agree that plastering is obviously difficult and a skilled trade. But the worlds greatest plasterer is not worth 20 grand a month.. Just as the greatest at my profession isnt worth 240 grand a year. Which is what this guy wanted.

But just because something is difficult and skilled doesn't mean people can't learn.

Yup. grand cash. the rooms are roughly 4m x 4m. He said plasterers are in demand (which i dont doubt) but that seems very high to me!

lol :D

You want to see what I would charge in 2008/09 :D One reason why I am not on tools now :D

Well you've totally got me wrong. I agree that plastering is obviously difficult and a skilled trade. But the worlds greatest plasterer is not worth 20 grand a month.. Just as the greatest at my profession isnt worth 240 grand a year. Which is what this guy wanted.

But just because something is difficult and skilled doesn't mean people can't learn.

To be honest I disagree somewhat... Most plasterers are broken by the time they are 50... But plasterers need to run a business in the end and if that chap wants £1k a room and people are paying it then fair enough.

£1000 a room may be high but to be fair we dont know the ins and the outs of the job so cant comment too much on that...

I am not sure anybody can say what somebody is worth... I get paid to tell companies how to promote and market... am I worth £1k a day to joe bloggs florist company? probably not but if i can make a company £1500 extra a day then suddenly I am worth it... its all about perspective :D

I have put stupid quotes in jobs before (plastering) where there is a lot of shite to deal with... Grand pianos and listed fireplaces and what not... reality is that the stress involved in doing the job meant I needed bigger money to keep me interested... and that is what it boils down to... how much money will it take to make me want to do a job ??what its worth to you is regardless... its what I want to do it for :D

You seem like a nice chap but I would get some more quotes in and see what the average price is if it is about the same then that is what it is :D

Reactions: Adz
Tried getting other quotes. Already had 2 not turn up to take a look.

The job to my untrained eye looks pretty simple. Skim walls that are not in too poor condition. All intact. Just a bit rough. Rooms would be emptied for the job.

The ceilings are artex (asbestos test done and are safe) and all good condition (except one that needs a reboarding) but i want them smooth.

I personally think he looked at the size of my house and made an assumption that I'm loaded (which I'm not)

The job to my untrained eye looks pretty simple. Skim walls that are not in too poor condition. All intact. Just a bit rough. Rooms would be emptied for the job.

The ceilings are artex (asbestos test done and are safe) and all good condition (except one that needs a reboarding) but i want them smooth.

I personally think he looked at the size of my house and made an assumption that I'm loaded (which I'm not)

hmmmm

wait till january I am sure there will be plenty looking for work to pay those cc bills off :D

That bugs me when people don’t turn up, if something’s gone wrong , you are only a phone call away. I thought you said it was one room for a grand, not rooms, or did you mean he wanted a grand for each room?
Maybe he has priced to overboard all the ceilings some plasterers don’t like scamming over Artex. I think if you take the cost of the course which really isn’t going to teach you anything added to buying tools and the time it takes to do the job to a good standard (remember your time is money) you will be way out of pocket. Just get a word of mouth recommendation or three and wait till one of them can do it, if your walls are as sound as you say I am sure you will get a good price and plasterer not every one of us are scammers

That bugs me when people don’t turn up, if something’s gone wrong , you are only a phone call away. I thought you said it was one room for a grand, not rooms, or did you mean he wanted a grand for each room?
Maybe he has priced to overboard all the ceilings some plasterers don’t like scamming over Artex. I think if you take the cost of the course which really isn’t going to teach you anything added to buying tools and the time it takes to do the job to a good standard (remember your time is money) you will be way out of pocket. Just get a word of mouth recommendation or three and wait till one of them can do it, if your walls are as sound as you say I am sure you will get a good price and plasterer not every one of us are scammers

it was a room per grand. I have to get 3 rooms done. Ideally want 6 rooms and hall stairs landing. He quoted me 6 grand for the rooms and said he'd think about the price for hall/stairs/landing.

it was a room per grand. I have to get 3 rooms done. Ideally want 6 rooms and hall stairs landing. He quoted me 6 grand for the rooms and said he'd think about the price for hall/stairs/landing.
Just ask your friends who have had Plastering done and done to a good standard for the number of the plaster they used, I think you are being over charged but I haven’t seen the job and don’t know what it entails, he may think the plaster is shot and wants to hack it off and start again

Where are you based, maybe someone off here could come and give you a quote

The hall stairs and landing are my worst rooms to do... always always over charge for them... Yuk

By the sounds of the job it's a big project and I think it would be worth spending good money to get a good job :)

Well I've now done a 4 day course. Loved every minute of it. Seriously considering giving up my day job to do a NVQ at golden trowel and starting a new career path!

Well I've now done a 4 day course. Loved every minute of it. Seriously considering giving up my day job to do a NVQ at golden trowel and starting a new career path!

Yaaawwwwnnnn.....

Here we F*****g go we got another disalusioned lunatic!!!

What's your day job

Go on then @Sw plastering how long does it take ? If it’s not 5 years ? I said 5 years because in my opinion that is how long it would take for someone to experience all different types of work and job situations, Mate

This has been an entertaining thread! I do like it when people bob back in to give us an update, very polite. Most throw a tantrum and leave crying and slamming doors! :LOL:

So did you get any cheaper quotes in the end or are you doing it yourself? @Adsy83

This has been an entertaining thread! I do like it when people bob back in to give us an update, very polite. Most throw a tantrum and leave crying and slamming doors! :LOL:

So did you get any cheaper quotes in the end or are you doing it yourself? @Adsy83

I got more quotes. Still far above what I can afford. Cheapest I got was 750 for a 4x4 room. So gonna give it a go myself.

And then yesterday my utility ceiling came through from a leak. So that will prob be my first job.

On the course I was able to plaster to a standard I was more then happy with. I'd never plaster someone else's house unless I did more proper training. But it was certainly smooth and flat enough.

Bought myself a marshalltown 13 inch permashape so waiting for that to arrive then will prob make a start in a week or two.[/QUOTE]

I got more quotes. Still far above what I can afford. Cheapest I got was 750 for a 4x4 room. So gonna give it a go myself.

And then yesterday my utility ceiling came through from a leak. So that will prob be my first job.

On the course I was able to plaster to a standard I was more then happy with. I'd never plaster someone else's house unless I did more proper training. But it was certainly smooth and flat enough.

Bought myself a marshalltown 13 inch permashape so waiting for that to arrive then will prob make a start in a week or two.
[/QUOTE]
750 is pretty good! Bet they're boarding the ceilings.

Hope it goes well. If your doing it yourself I'd overboard those ceilings.

750 is pretty good! Bet they're boarding the ceilings.

Hope it goes well. If your doing it yourself I'd overboard those ceilings.[/QUOTE]
That was with me boarding it myself and preparing the walls.

Thanks for the advice tho. Will definately ely board them.. Just not sure if I'll take the old ceiling down then new board or board over the top. . Think I will remove and start fresh.