Artex sealer equivalent

Wayners

Been looking about for some sealer and found this wickes stuff. Been trying it out as I wanted something that seals better than Pva but doesn't have the sand like blue grit. Found this from wickes but early days. Anyone used? It's also says to use this product before there one coat plaster and is very similar to artex sealer. Has no sticky like Pva though.

Danny

Administrator
Been looking about for some sealer and found this wickes stuff. Been trying it out as I wanted something that seals better than Pva but doesn't have the sand like blue grit. Found this from wickes but early days. Anyone used? It's also says to use this product before there one coat plaster and is very similar to artex sealer. Has no sticky like Pva though.
@knauf @Runswithscissors @quinns

I have been tempted to use the BG version in the past, it’s designed to go over after the tape and joiners to even out the whole wall for painting or papering. Wondered how similar it was to BG high suction sealer which is expensive.
If Wickes one is stating it can be plastered on when dry it should be ok for skim too?

Wayners

All it says on the back of tin is to seal prior to one coat plaster or seal plaster and plasterboard to allow emulsion to be applied avoiding streaks from uneven drying. Not really good information.

Wayners

FFS why the need too over complicate!

Pva and skim away!
Uneven suction. Drags back. Can craze and crack. Bla bla. Sometimes I need a real good seal especially over old artex painted or not. Skimmed some big ceilings on my own and Pva would not of held it workable. Blue grit is the answer but sometimes I cus the grit. Jmo.

Djr

That stuff looks shite

zombie

Private Member
Uneven suction. Drags back. Can craze and crack. Bla bla. Sometimes I need a real good seal especially over old artex painted or not. Skimmed some big ceilings on my own and Pva would not of held it workable. Blue grit is the answer but sometimes I cus the grit. Jmo.
Then overboard

Wayners

@zombie overboard gets mentioned here but with sofas / furniture plus many rooms have coving is overboard and option? I can't overboard these days without a lifter that I hire. Gone are the days I could fit them on my own

zombie

Private Member
@zombie overboard gets mentioned here but with sofas / furniture plus many rooms have coving is overboard and option? I can't overboard these days without a lifter that I hire. Gone are the days I could fit them on my own
Just use 6 X 3s and 2 props!

Room needs to be empty to plaster anyway!

Coving yep you've got me there pal!

t33ch

....Blue grit is the answer ...
You've answered your own question, sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it.
Just lay the first coat on a bit stiff/thick if you are struggling with the grit and give it a brush first in case there's any loose.

Danny

Administrator
I have been using the zombie mix on the first coat over blue grit.... works well to get over that...

Wayners

Go easy on the bonding in zombie mix. 2 handfuls is enough in a bucket. That blue grit is good stuff though at sensible money

Wayners

Artex sealer available on amazon (cheap) and eBay now. Be buying multi finish on eBay soon the way its going. Get the delivery driver to load van . (y) crazy world.