artex

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz1968

i have to plaster two artexed walls but they have not been painted. it sis a small stipple affect so i will scrape back , but do i have to seal the walls . i have heard stories of plaster bubbling and falling off artex . can any one help with what i can seal them with and what ratio ??? ??? ???

You can use pva, bonding agent or a stabilizer all will seal the artex all have pro s& cons, i would use a stabilizer then 2-1 pva or if i had the time stabilizer then a bonding agent .

I know I will be shot down for this but look at the HSE website, it will tell that unless you know for certain that the Artex was applied after a certain date then don't scrape it or you will be releasing asbestos into the air for both you and your client to breath in. They say the way to deal with Artex is to encapsulate it rather than scrape it.

encapsulate = to cover the artex with bonding then skim so no need to scrape.

Andy this has been covered before and I always argue that the asbestos would be ENCAPSULATED within the artex so the risk would be almost zero.

Rich

church said:
encapsulate ???
Sorry must stop chewing on that dictionary, what I meant to say is completely cover the Artex without scraping it. ;D ;D
I've just done 3 ceilings by bond and setting them, when I told the guy about the asbestos he was more than happy to pay the extra, in his words "I don't want that sh*t near my kids and grand kids" enough said I think.

just keep skimming over that artex [i like to see it as prep work ]ready for the next artex pattern ;)then 2 years later new owner skim it flat again ,its a never ending laugh but someone has to do it .till ceilings 2ft thick ;D

why would you use bondit on such a lil job.. unless you have it on board.. but reali just a quick 2 coat pva and skim done in and out yea?

2 coat PVA and 2 nice thick round coats of skim. Unless the stipples are big then bond and set.

No just the first thing I do when I turn up. By the time I have got all my kit set up and had a fag
it'll have dried then bang the 2nd coat on start the mix and skim away when it turns tacky.
1st coat to seal 2nd coat to stick its wot I was always taught.

carlos said:
No just the first thing I do when I turn up. By the time I have got all my kit set up and had a fag
it'll have dried then bang the 2nd coat on start the mix and skim away when it turns tacky.
1st coat to seal 2nd coat to stick its wot I was always taught.
[/quote
try it the day before to seal it or gypbond it mate ...if youre floating thermalite block try pvaing the day before instead of the same day and youll notice the difference

Is that wot you do spunky? Also do you really need to pva thermalite block I once saw some lads floating
tough coat straght on and it did'nt crack up that much no water first or nothing.

yeh i pva it f**k going over it without ......if i have to i wet it down and grind a scratch coat on

my old man died of mysothelia (a f**k**g horrible form of cancer caused by working with blue asbestos) so i've looked onto artex and asbestos quite keenly. white asbestos is very low risk you can scrape it and not worry, trust me. how many of you smoke and drink? smoking and drinking is responsible for 300,000 deaths a year, go figure

[/quote
try it the day before to seal it or gypbond it mate ...if youre floating thermalite block try pvaing the day before instead of the same day and youll notice the difference
[/quote]
Why would you want to seal Thermolite blocks to float on, their suction is what I like about working on them?

breathing in a bit of scraped artex is no worse then breathing in a load of dust from a bag of multi!!
I always scrape to hi-spots off, SBR/PVA it once then skim it within 15mins of that. Let the first coat go rocko, the 2nd it as normal. never had a prob in 13 years!! its all about the SBR!!

Didn't think SBR was made for that just as an primer and admixture for cement base coatings.
I thought it reacted funny with gypsum base products.

essexandy said:
[/quote
Why would you want to seal Thermolite blocks to float on, their suction is what I like about working on them?
[/quote]
spunky said:
youre mad ;D
Virtually all my work is with sand & cement and almost always on Thermalite type blocks but I have never sealed or wanted to seal them, I hate floating on any surface with low suction, but then I don't try to put the whole wall on before I start to rule it straight and true. But I can't argue with the mad accusation.

Whats your approach when rendering a lightweight wall then andy ???.

I run a roller over the wall I am about to render with a very weak pva mix like 5-1 then render and rule every 4-5 m2

I don't think I'm aloud to answer that really Richard in case a courser is reading. OK all you five day course guys promise too look away now.
Right now it's safe to talk, I firstly drop a screed down the right hand side of the wall and then if the wall is no more than about 12ft long I drop a screed down the left hand side, or if the wall is longer I drop a screed down the centre of the wall, then I drop back to the top right hand corner and render right across to the left hand screed but only coming down the wall about 18in to 2 ft at a time before ruling from screed to screed and then working down the wall using the same technique. I know it probably sounds like a lot hassle but when you are used to the routine it is a very quick and more importantly accurate way of rendering, and because you are always ruling off fairly small areas at a time the muck you remove with the feather edge is still wet enough to go straight back on the board and be put on again.

essexandy said:
I don't think I'm aloud to answer that really Richard in case a courser is reading. OK all you five day course guys promise too look away now.
Right now it's safe to talk, I firstly drop a screed down the right hand side of the wall and then if the wall is no more than about 12ft long I drop a screed down the left hand side, or if the wall is longer I drop a screed down the centre of the wall, then I drop back to the top right hand corner and render right across to the left hand screed but only coming down the wall about 18in to 2 ft at a time before ruling from screed to screed and then working down the wall using the same technique. I know it probably sounds like a lot hassle but when you are used to the routine it is a very quick and more importantly accurate way of rendering, and because you are always ruling off fairly small areas at a time the muck you remove with the feather edge is still wet enough to go straight back on the board and be put on again.
your avin a larf andy i hopes :-\

[/quote] your avin a larf andy i hopes :-\
[/quote]
Not having a laugh, why would you think that?
No no picture frame Warrior it looks sh*t to be honest ::)

just seems a long hauled way of doing it. for me i just normally use one horizontal screed on the wall about 3 quarters up the wall. sometimes dont bother with that, still get the same results. each to their own though :)

WHY RISK IT? Theres nothing worse than scraping its a horrible job. I did it once on recommendation from some1 on this forum. Never again...I either screw existing boards to joists and 2 or 3 coat or overboard and skim.

If the artex as been put on thinly (which often it is)... the chemical reaction when the plaster starts to set creates heat and this heat on artex described as above (put on to thinly) can cause bubbling and as a result make the plaster fall off.
if this happens youl have to scrape it off (not reccommended) or overboard (which the customer doesnt wanna pay for )
So if this bubbling happens put ur kit in the van and f**k off before the customer gets home and dont answer you phone for a week.TOP TIP !!!!!!

del said:
just seems a long hauled way of doing it. for me i just normally use one horizontal screed on the wall about 3 quarters up the wall. sometimes dont bother with that, still get the same results. each to their own though :)
Don't kid yourself, do you think some of us would use such a "long hauled way of doing it" for no reason. I await the barage (I doubt their are many that use screeds on here).

I dont andy unless the wall is going to be tiled and its way out of upright, I just dont see the need. If the blockwork is good and upright I just lay and rule and make sure angles,ceiling line and skirting line is bang on and I have NEVER had a comeback.

I cant see it as being quicker at all but in reality it probably does give an overall better job.

As for the lightweight blocks I contacted celcon and they told me the blocks MUST be lightly wetted just prior to plastering but not soaked as soaking makes the block swell and when it dries will cause cracks.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.