Beginner question - skimming top of wall near ceiling

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewp

Hi, another beginner’s question if I may...

Being DIY and only learning from forums, online guides, etc, I’m questioning how I should lay on skim on the top part of a wall. When dealing with the rest of the wall (middle and bottom), it’s straight forward (pull trowel up and at a slight angle).

But when near the ceiling, should I still use this method? Should I stop a few inches from the ceiling and then pull in like you pull in the other edges of a wall?

Or is there a completely different method (ie sideways, etc) for the top couple of feet?

Hope this makes sense. At the moment, for me it’s a bit of a free-for-all until I’m off the ladder and can get a decent arc with the trowel.

Thanks again.

I guess folks have different ways, it's what you get used to. You can pull down, you can hold your trowel vertically and use either the toe or heel and go accross or horizontally and go accross.
I generally wet the edges with a brush if they are dry (like skimming upto dry unpainted plaster) so when you put the second coat on you aren't dragging dried lumps across your work - or run my small-tool round the edges to scrape off dried plaster.

Cheers for the replies.

I must admit I like the idea of pulling down from the ceiling (kinda like the opposite of working from skirting). I assume you can't use anywhere the amount of plaster on the trowel though. So i guess doing this will get you around a foot or so down, and then you plaster as normal up to it.

I'll try this at the weekend. Cheers.

Just skim up to as close as you can to the ceiling for a couple of strokes then pull down with what's left on your trowel - you can always give its a sideswipe just to flatten it out and even it up. I'm sure there are a few vids on YouTube to give you an idea (I expect someone will be able to recommend a few..)

I pull a trowel load down from the ceiling to just above half way down the wall then give it a trowel across as I go just to keep it tidy then bring the wall up from the bottom so it meets where I've brought the top through. Works well for me and also makes full use of each trowel swoop. Just my thought. Not saying it's right or wrong.

I guess folks have different ways, it's what you get used to. You can pull down, you can hold your trowel vertically and use either the toe or heel and go accross or horizontally and go accross.
I generally wet the edges with a brush if they are dry (like skimming upto dry unpainted plaster) so when you put the second coat on you aren't dragging dried lumps across your work - or run my small-tool round the edges to scrape off dried plaster.

What does the customer say when you whip that out???:RpS_blushing:

What does the customer say when you whip that out???:RpS_blushing:
They're impressed at my dexterity with it and the last one asked me if I could fill her crack. Told her it would need widening a bit before I could push anything in.. :RpS_cool:

Run the top in side ways taking care not to damage the ceiling with the trowel then one big trowel full from bottom to top, easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.