Best way I have found to clean trowels!

Members online

MattP1987

Just thought I would share this with you guys.

I recently discovered DAZ washing powder works wonders on a trowel.

Fill container with warm/hot water and some DAZ . Place trowels in for hour or two
Remove a lightly scrap the plaster falls away like wet sand!

Make sure you rinse trowels afterwards as not sure if DAZ would affect plaster next time you used the trowel as it softens dry plaster pretty good.

Might work on a mixer drill as well

Cleans up like new including plastic handles.
Just rinse off in hot water afterwards to get rid of the soapy scummy residue.
Worth a try on a old trowel to see what you think before you dunk your pride a joy haha

Last edited:
interesting.... not heard of that before
Neither had I.
On of my friends uses this for cleaning parts on his speedway bikes over night, next morning clean as a whistle and all grease dirt removed. Gave me the idea to use it on the trowels

I am using this method to clean all pots and pans in the kitchen and anything that can resist simmering. If you guys have any pan or pot, cutlery etc that need cleaning just put it into large pot cover it with water , add some washing powder and simmer it for 3-4 hours. No swearing and sweating and you may impress the mrs too! As for cleaning the trowels I still prefer vinegar and coca cola. Washing powder works well only when simmering.

Last edited:
I am using this method to clean all pots and pans in the kitchen and anything that can resist simmering. If you guys have any pan or pot, cutlery etc that need cleaning just put it into large pot cover it with water , add some washing powder and simmer it for 3-4 hours. No swearing and sweating and you may impress the mrs too! As for cleaning the trowels I still prefer vinegar and coca cola. Washing powder work well only when simmering.
What vinegar do you use lol? I tried white vinegar as advised before but did bugger all

Fill container with warm/hot water and some DAZ . Place trowels in for hour or two

Make sure you rinse trowels afterwards as not sure if DAZ would affect plaster next time you used the trowel as it softens dry plaster pretty good.

Worth a try on a old trowel to see what you think before you dunk your pride a joy haha
Nice one tbh I've become quite anal about keeping trowels and tools clean lately

Nice one tbh I've become quite anal about keeping trowels and tools clean lately

Agreed that's what earns you the money. Sets a good impression to customer, leaves better finish, saves you money in the long run and in my opinion looks and feels a million times better than a trowel caked in dried plaster.

When I started, firms looking for trades always used to end their adverts, "only clean tools need apply."

I shower every morning .
Have to this morning
IMG_2398.JPG

Tried it very good results mate!!

I find the best way is to keep them clean as you use them then you aint got to f**k about with the missus washing powder or the stuff you put on your chips

I find the best way is to keep them clean as you use them then you aint got to f**k about with the missus washing powder or the stuff you put on your chips
Yeah point taken, but for when it does get fatty and abit skanky worth knowing

You must have the most laid back understandable missus mine moans if I leave the cap of the toothpaste

Yeah she is great... got a spare bedroom full of bike gear, lonboards and car parts...lol

as soon as the job is done the stuff is gone... high turnover :D She is pushing quite hard for me to find a bigger workshop now though :-\