Best way to cover damp in stone walls..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTB

Hi all,

I bought an old stone Victorian house last year, and as expected the place had a lot of mould and damp. The walls were all papered and the only heating in the house was from two storage heaters, one in the hallway one on the landing and a gas fire. No radiators or anything, and absolutely nothing in the extension that has the kitchen on the GF and bathroom on the 1st. Anyway, after having a survey done to get the mortgage the guy recommended stripping the walls up to a metre and having them injected, then re-skimmed over sand and cement !! :RpS_cursing:

I ignored him, as the walls are rubble filled and a 2 1/2' thick!. For the living room I replastered the external walls using lime, and it took forever to dry. The dining room was much worse and had cement and lime patches all the way to the ceiling. In the end I studded it out with treated timber and screwed foilback boards on and skimmed. This way looks much better than the lime method, though I appreciate it's probably not the correct way. I re-pointed outside with lime and so far so good. I'd be happy if the boards lasted 10 years, though so far there is no sign of the damp, and I'm hoping that by repointing with lime outside I've left a way for moisture to escape. Time will tell.

Anyway, I just thought I'd say after reading around the subject for ages and experimenting first hand, cement render and gyspum plaster don't suit external solid stone walls at all, DP injections can't work in rubble infill walls, lime is great but takes forever. Studding hides the issue and doesn't necessarily solve it, takes up more space but looks beaut! :)

DTB

why ignore a pro and go it alone if we give you advice are you going to ignore that aswell why would you be happy if the boards last 10 years are you moving out in 5

why ignore a pro and go it alone if we give you advice are you going to ignore that aswell why would you be happy if the boards last 10 years are you moving out in 5

He wasn't a pro. Anyone who recommends injecting a rubble filled wall needs to seriously consider their profession. Any surveyor worth his salt (pardon the pun) would know this. Surveys conducted by damp-proofing firms are notoriously biased as there's an obvious conflict of interest between getting more work for them and doing what's right for the customer and building. Unfortunately poorly qualified and unscrupulous damp surveyors are ubiquitous in the renovation game. Luckily I knew this and just used the survey for mortgage purposes.

I agree with the injectin part though if its as u explained its no good , as said by you they just want the dollar by the looks of it if they want to inject it

There was a multitude of other problems. The window ledges were full of holes, so any rain that hit the glass would run down through the ledge and into the wall. All ventilation was covered (under the false floor) with weeds (exterior). The drain on the back was blocked, so whenever it rained a pond would form in seep into the stone work. Added to that the exterior was pointed with cement and painted with vinyl paint, plus internally gypsum plastered and papered, there was nowhere for the moisture to escape escape. I remedied these things and so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.