board or overboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott

what makes you decide wether to overboard or just rip the twaat down n fully reboard a ceilin n why not just skim it ???

what makes you decide wether to overboard or just rip the twaat down n fully reboard a ceilin n  why not just skim it ???

we have never pulled a ceiling down always overboard, if i was in charge i would rather pull it down cause over boarding is a b!tch but the gaffer cant deal with the mess

Well if its old lath and looks as if it sagging a bit i always pull it down. But If a ceiling feels pretty solid I would over board.

if it over lath and plaster you run the risk of it developing cracks after a few months,best to overboard a least you know its there to stay and put plenty of screws in it,plus ripping down must be one of the worst jobs going, unless really needed, and you have to patch up all round the edges, for the sake of a couple of hours we always overboard

im rubbish at overboarding i'd rather reskim or tell the customer if they dont pull it down there house is in serious danger of collapsing :)

I find theres 2 schools of thought Scott - By the book or by the individual - If you go by the book, ALL artexed ceilings should be overboarded to erradicate any possibility of the new plaster bringing the whole ceiling down - In practise, I should imagine 99% of us will either use a tight coat of bonding and then skim, or just skim with 2 decent coats of PVA

I have been guilty of overboarding a lath and plaster ceiling, but only because I was confident it was fairly sturdy and I was also using 50mm screws into the joists - Again, going by the book, you should never overboard L&P ceilings, but have you ever seen the mess made when you take one down ? The homeowner will be hoovering up dust for weeks !!

In short, I'll only overboard if I'm unhappy with the integrity of the ceiling - Ie, patchy artex is always an alarm bell ringer, as is large water damaged areas and very rarely will I rip a ceiling down because I've then got to dispose of it !!

been over boarding ceilings for years never had any problems,in fact under boarded all our ceilings at home and over skimed all the walls,not a crack in sight,always over board artex ceiling as your adesion if over skiming is only as good as the artex it self

ive only done a couple but both times the joists were all over the place, i found either side of them and pinged a chalk line but they were well twisted and ended up pissing me right off ;D

overboarding is a b@tch, the more u do though the easier they become, u cant mark accurate stringlines thats the problems

the other reason to overboard is to flatten out the ceiling some of the old l & p ceilings are a bit wavy.

the other reason to overboard is to flatten out the ceiling some of the old l & p ceilings are a bit wavy.

yeah we overboarded wavy celings before and the new fixings pull it all up again

if u overboarding an old ceiling and it has sagged, when u overboard and put loads of fixings in usually it will pull the warped ceiling up straighter and ya new board then sits flatter too

when i overboard ceilings i always carry some flat plate with me so if the joist are all over the place u still got sumta to screw in very handy stuff indeed

tommy G

when i overboard ceilings  i always carry some flat plate with me so if the joist are all over the place  u still got sumta to screw in   very handy stuff indeed

tommy G

what do u mean tommy i dont understand ? :-/

I prefer to use 12.5mm board on ceilings 1800 x 900, Cant put 2400 x 1200 on mi jack jones.

I always mark the joist centres on the walls at both ends of room, can still miss them in the middle though :p

Ive overboarded plasterboard ceilings that bowed like a bugger between joists. I,m curious when this occurs.

My own house has lath and plaster ceilings that are 80 year old and although there cracked all over they are still pretty flat. Very very very dusty though, ive overboarded the lot and had no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.