bonding coat - darby/feathered edge or none

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wondered what you guys thought/do?

got a large artexed wall to cover, needs patching in places first, bonding coat then skimmed.

i've always put bonding on free hand without using a darby or feathered edge - and ive always been really happy with the end result once skimmed.

just wondered should i be giving it a go on the larger areas? am i missing a trick here?

what do you guys do/think?

appreciated!!!!

why not just float the whole wall in bonding so it all sets at the same time, rather than patches of bonding setting the skimming al over the wall. if you think you can free hand the lots then crack on but i would use a darby marra

There's a couple of patches down to the brick, was gonna patch them then float the lot, float it then straight on it with the Darby then?

cheers

could be another (do you start on left or right) kind of question that got well out of hand.
i would'nt really want to do a large area free hand mate have you never even tried any kind of straight edge on ruffin? its a lot better splatter a big area on rule it off move on to the next your flattening 4-6 ft at a time and just working an area the size of your trowel = flatter & faster

Last edited:
I've always bonded over artext where possible save scrapping it back for hours, always done it freehand myself not saying ruling it wouldn't be bette just never had to bother tbh, plus bonding will take a trowel :)

Generally come across artext on ceiling, so overboard. However on walls depends on thickness tight coat freehand. Wouldn't want to put too much of a thick coat on as its prob painted?

pva, then a coat of multi with a few handfuls of bonding, second coat just multi when the first has pulled in, it should save you time over bonding and then setting....

Its up to you in the end mate. If the walls are all over the place before you start, it'll be an arse using a Darby or edge as up will end up straightening up the hole wall.

If it was me I would free hand it on as long as its not to thick.

if its just to fill out that horrible fan patten i sometimes just use a few hand boards of finish to fill out then scrape flat to the peaks of artex as it takes no time to set enough to give you a nice flat surface to skim without that F*****g patten trying to show through (if pva dry always hangs for hours for me on artex) which is what i would do with any left over gear to get next gauge ready its cost efective and quick and easy as you're useing what you would through away any how.
if its a 1 gauge job just blast first coat on nice and thick which should help level out any unevenness a bit let it pull in flatten it let it pull in a bit more then lay in when it set enough for any patten not to show through......trowel up.....done
but if its bonding or similar i'd use a straight edge of some description you can't get is as flat by hand no matter how good you are, you would'nt dot boards onto a wall and use a 2ft spirit level to tap em flat, it's the same principal

i not trying to be righteous pal i've free handed stuff when the situation calls for it, but do prefer to rule off if i can

Its fine bud.

To be fair I find if I use a bigger trowel I find it easier to keep it flat. So in a situation like this I would use my 18" trowel.

thats a whopper! but the right tool for the job
permashape's are no good for it cos of that bow they put down the length of em i got 1 that ridicolus

just wondered what you guys thought/do?

got a large artexed wall to cover, needs patching in places first, bonding coat then skimmed.

i've always put bonding on free hand without using a darby or feathered edge - and ive always been really happy with the end result once skimmed.

just wondered should i be giving it a go on the larger areas? am i missing a trick here?

what do you guys do/think?

appreciated!!!!

How where you taught when you served your time?

If the wall is flat just needing a tight coat ( big lumps scrapped off) I'd free hand it , if say its asbestos derby and float fully with no damage to existing artex for dust , plus if the wall is all shapes, if its already straight u should be able to free hand a tight coat of bonding no bother

Next time anyone free hands bonding over half thick artex have a little peep at the ceiling line

pva full ceiling, then bonding over entire ceiling freehand, then just when its going off trowel entire ceiling in splashing a bit water on ,as if you were skimming, but just do it the once works every time for me, then just skim as normal

Free handed it in the end - come up a treat!
'if you've any left over can you just skim this bit and this bit??!!' Why does everyone seem to say that!!?

cuntss mate they knew they wanted all them little bit doing and all them holes filling but think you gonna charge them more if they show you when you pricing main job up. put you in a position where you feel you can't say no, but you can and they don't like it but i don't like some **** think he got 1 over on me. i don't mind so much if its just one or two little bits but i had people trying to get me to patch half the house up whilst you got a gauge mid swing.
more work equals more money should have been honest in the 1st place and i'd of probably done it no probs [
QUOTE=drpplastering;626046]Free handed it in the end - come up a treat!
'if you've any left over can you just skim this bit and this bit??!!' Why does everyone seem to say that!!?[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.