Cold

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

essexandy

The Lake Governor
I've left the rendering and been tacking today as the temp. didn't get above 1.5 degrees outside, not that it was any warmer inside. I've lost count how many times the client has asked "can't you render in this?".
So just out of interest at what temp. do you stop wet plastering and is there a temp. where you just say it's to cold even to tack or bead up in? And I don't just want you to quote what is "the" correct temp. to stop, I want to know when you actually stop.

i think ive only ever stopped cos of the cold once that was last winter when we had all that snow it was soo cold i wet the spot board down and it froze instantly haha, but i did what you did and just dropped back on boarding

not done anything all week, weve mothballed all outside projects until at least Monday, not got above 0c today

I think someways it's more how much do you need the cash or job completed. We all worked through the cold snap last year so what I would say it would well have to be below zero outside before I jacked it in. And also the building was a empty shell I was working in..

Andy if it's inside if you flick water at the spot and its frozen by the time you scrape it off it's too cold otherwise crack on

Sprayed thin coat backing today on cem board till midday,didn't get above 3 centigrade all day.

Given below zero most of the day tomorrow, but we will be laying up on insulation on a diff job, so we'll have a bit of give there.

skimming in any temperature. rendering when its frosty. the guys on site basecoated yesterday and its all crazed up this morning

Andy if it's inside if you flick water at the spot and its frozen by the time you scrape it off it's too cold otherwise crack on

And if that happens , take the gas cylinder and flame thrower in , warm the area up and then crack on.eh spunk. ?

skimming in any temperature. rendering when its frosty. the guys on site basecoated yesterday and its all crazed up this morning

base coating in this weather?
why take the chance, i chanced it a few years ago did a 40 m gable in pral m, next day it was knackered cost me a fortune in time and materials to knock it off and reaply. if your rendering external in this weather you deserve all you get.

Last edited:
No rendering below 5C during the day. The only way that happens for us is when the client/builder/contractor signs a disclaimer. Because they will all push you to do whats wrong.

i think its coz theyre from wales and are staying down here and wanted to crack on. they all went home this morning. and lucky me, as iv booked the next couple of weeks in on this job, have had to move to skimming hotel rooms out at £120 a pop. i think that works out about £2.50m. and £3.50l/m bulkheads in the corridors. i think iv hit an all time low. iv got 12 jobs to do ffs and none are ready

The air temperature's supposed to be 5 degrees or higher ain't it? At that temperature the wall surface will still be colder than that, and with a bit of a breeze blowing there's a good chance you're working on a freezing surface. Saying that, I know I've worked in frost before and got away with it:-0
And as a lab, I got the mixing stick (!!!) and dipped it in the water barrel then waved it around for the 'wind-chill' to turn it to ice, then went inside and showed them it was far too cold to put anything on - lazy fecker.

No rendering below 5C during the day. The only way that happens for us is when the client/builder/contractor signs a disclaimer. Because they will all push you to do whats wrong.

were the same pal,
but even today ive had outfits phone me up asking why ive not sent any lads to there jobs.

were the same pal,
but even today ive had outfits phone me up asking why ive not sent any lads to there jobs.

Mate, it is beyond belief sometimes, the same old" i'm taking the scaffold down for the groundworkers, why aint you finished yet??? wheres your blokes then??" .

If the guy did not owe me 10 K i'd call him a prick, its the same shinanigans every year.Just bite your lip and assure him he's top of the list ,soon as its warm enough.

Or sign the disclaimer.... and the gambles yours.......

Has to be 5 degrees above and no sub 0 at night. Got a job to finish rubbing up and the blokes asking when we will finish coz his wife is moaning. Next tuesday is our attack day I hope!

yep and it fooking lovely. Proper smile on face momentwhen you smash a gable on with so little effort. CPI is very nice to rule of aswell.

We think it will hang abit which is why we are being careful about the temp as rubbing up in ther dark is no fun!

Anyone ever sprayed and flattened in the afternoon then rubbed up[ the next day?

I know CPI can be scrapped but what does thne finish look like? Grey mono scratch????

yep and it fooking lovely. Proper smile on face momentwhen you smash a gable on with so little effort. CPI is very nice to rule of aswell.

We think it will hang abit which is why we are being careful about the temp as rubbing up in ther dark is no fun!

Anyone ever sprayed and flattened in the afternoon then rubbed up[ the next day?

I know CPI can be scrapped but what does thne finish look like? Grey mono scratch????

last winter i was spraying cpi outside. was too cold to finish nicely in the day so put on about 30m ish on a front elevation last knockings one afternoon. it was hard in the morning, but just about do able. i i sectioned it back and then misted it with water and floated it. came out nice

started a job last friday coated it with rendaid and it pissed down as soon as we finished I wanted to render monday but havent been back since

is anyone else other than me working on a spastic site where they have had 24 frozen water and a broken site genny for the last 3 days?? and when they tried to defrost the pipes they split and went all over the live electircs and everyone had to leave??

and yet they were prepared to pay for what iv never seen on site which was put a 110v powerpoint outside each door of 120 hotel rooms and all the stairwells etc, which probably cost a fortune, and yet they wont spend the money to keep the pipes defrosted even tho the only trades on site are wet trades and theres about 20 of us. makes sense doesnt it

Its beggars belief that sites are like this in the UK this day and age even builders merchants keep the sand outside so its fcuking useless when it turns up last time i worked in Germany it was minus 18 in the building and the brickies were still working using ready mix morter with sutiable additives the Lithuanian painter on one of my jobs said its the same where he comes from, did any one see the London news last night where a destitute Polak was forced into a temporary hostel because of the freezing conditions and he just couldnt make it out just kept sayin its not cold minus 20 is cold and thats normal where ime from,we have a lot to learn.

is anyone else other than me working on a spastic site where they have had 24 frozen water and a broken site genny for the last 3 days?? and when they tried to defrost the pipes they split and went all over the live electircs and everyone had to leave??

and yet they were prepared to pay for what iv never seen on site which was put a 110v powerpoint outside each door of 120 hotel rooms and all the stairwells etc, which probably cost a fortune, and yet they wont spend the money to keep the pipes defrosted even tho the only trades on site are wet trades and theres about 20 of us. makes sense doesnt it

nothing suprises me anymore as regards site conditions, and what corners principal contractors try and cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.