Cracks in Ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazp

Hi

Attached below are pics of my ceiling with a few cracks - What would be the best way of dealing with these before having the ceiling skimmed?

Thanks in advance

CP

photo-2.JPG photo-3.JPG

Thanks for the responses - I should have said that there is a rather nice cornice that we want to keep, would over boarding take the ceiling 'too low'? If so, what else could be done?

Thanks again.

CP

remove the ceiling and replace? if its lath, very easy just to cut it along the cornice and remove ceiling ,then replace with plasterboard

Hi DannyMac - No - the ceiling is not papered.

I would prefer not to remove the ceiling as I know what a mare of a job that can be - Although a pal of mine suggested to hack out a ^ shape (Inverted V) along the cracks, fill them and then skim - Sounds too easy and I'd imagine that the cracks would only reappear after a while.

Thanks again.

As it,s your ceiling have a go at cutting out, scrim up, and set ,but if it,s lath & plaster you will be adding more weight to it so it may crack in other areas

thats what i would do over board with a nice shadow gap bead running round the perimeter

If its plaster and lath hack the damaged plaster off without damaging the laths use bonding to repair then skim make sure you squeeze the bonding into the laths.

If its plasterboard just cut a rectangle around the crack to the nearest joists, trim the plasterboard so you have about 12mm of the joist free then cut a piece of plasterboard to size then screw it up, tape around the edges then skim.

Good advice JB Also just to add if it is plasterboard you may need to screw a bit of timber to act as a noggin either side to the cut out section which is easily done.

Status
Not open for further replies.