Cross troweling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewis412

Every plasterer has there own way of plastering and I've always said there is no right and wrong way of plastering, asking as its flat and smooth, was watching a video on YouTube and the guy on there was saying about cross trowling! How many on you cross trowel you walls and ceiling?

I cross trowel if I can reach. i.e. walls that are 2.5m height or less and low ceilings. Other wise I don't bother, but each to their own.

No point in just cross troweling the bottom 2/3 of a wall, might look odd.

sometimes i 2 trowel and cross. sometimes i just 3 trowel. sometimes i 3 trowel and cross. each set is different dependent on substrate. suction. thickness. temp. etc

Just cross what you can reach, who cares about the top bit. It's only for people who stroke the walls, so they can say "ooooooooo it's lovely and smooth Margaret"

sometimes i 2 stroke and cross. sometimes i just 3 stroke. sometimes i 3 stroke and cross. each tranny is different dependent what clothes hes got on. suction. thickness. temp. etc

:RpS_scared:

I cross trowel the lot... but i can reach most ceilings...lol

also cross trweling with a plastic trowel is pure perfection...lol

I can reach ceilings upto 2.5m high so cross trowel from 1st trowel opposite direction each time aesy peasy anything higher speedskim the fecker and knock half hour off the set.

Do you think it gives a better finish to cross trowel it with the plastic ? I've just got one and having a play with it.

Yep... I been playing with it on a friends house :) and I have been finishing without using any water and the finish is beautiful.... although I am putting on smaller sets, I wouldnt want to chase a room with one though, I would have to get out the steel for that but generally speaking i like it :) Not for everybody i know

I always cross it. I find it's an essential part of getting the wall as flat as possible as well as smooth.
IMO.

Always try to polish going crossways. Sometimes trowel crossways depending on how it's going.

usually lay on both coats, 2 wet trowels with a cross inbetween then get the plastic trowel out and dry cross after the second wet trowel sorted

Does it not tear without water Danny.....?

I have not had it tear yet.... You still clean your trowel and so the only water that is going on the wall is off your trowel after you have wiped it :)... if that makes any sense...

There are others who plaster a whole lot more than I do now so they can probably answer better... I also use 1200 paper to combat the nicks in the trowel as well :)

Danny

If you have to cross trowel every wall then you're doing something wrong IMHO, I hardly ever cross trowel.

ive tried that a few times but i dont think my trowels worn in enough yet. only had it 6mths or so. i need to use a little water else it tears

Back in the day when we always had a full scaffold to do ceilings a good x trowel always made the finish look **** hot but working off a hop up means you cant get a continuous sweep and leave nice straight pattern.

Just get ya bitch to keep moving your other hop up infront of you..................:RpS_wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.