Curved ceiling in a barn conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJplastering

Can anyone please give me any tips for getting perfect curves onto a ceiling??

Any help/tips greatly appriciated thanks guys

Doug

Hello mate and welcome to the forum.

Firs of all you will need to form your curve with some kind of backing coat, bonding for example. You will need to use 2 seperate coats of skimming for the best results (not two coats from the same mix) and when troweling the curve keep the trowel open and trowel diagionaly rather then up and down and use plenty of water when the gear firms up to assist.

Hope this helps.

Rich

lol hello mate, yes i went to majorca for a bit but have been real busy with work so just getting home and going to bed :(.

Rich :)

would hardwall be ok to use as a base for the curve??? its just that i have already have a bag and a half left over from another job.

cheers guys for the replies

if you are forming the curve from a block wall to meet the board then yes fine but if your forming the curve on anything else then bonding mate built up in layers. i usually ping a chalk line say 2.5" from the corner of the ceiling onto the ceiling itself and from the corner of the ceiling down the wall and use this as a guide to help you form the curve.

build it up in layers and use a rule with a fine edge to it to rule it off nice. be extra carefull where the curve meets the wall as this is where your eye gets drawn to.

rich

whenever ive tried doing hand coves my corners always end up w.ank n i spend ages getting them right with easyfill another one of the reasons i prefer site work u never have to do them ;D ;D

always use a joint rule on the coners just cuts them out nice an dsharp
napper83 said:
whenever ive tried doing hand coves my corners always end up w.ank n i spend ages getting them right with easyfill another one of the reasons i prefer site work u never have to do them ;D ;D

Hello Mate
Just finished on a curved ceiling of sorts, its for a mini supermarket (I****n food) the top portion is boarded flat, width of a 8/4 board running length ways then boarded down at an angle on both sides, its a massive ceiling about 110m2 so had to do it in sections, smoothed the corners with bonding coat first then two coated (from different mix) each section, could only manage two sections a day and to be honest would not do it again as it was a real pain, its turned out fantastic, will post photos when the whole rooms done.

Cheers for the help guys!! I think i am gonna go with the bonding method seems like it works well. gott another question to pick your brains now im working on a whole 2 bed house reskim and there is a wall in the utility cuboard that has about 3 foot of rising dam. i did not include this in my price but the customer has had a damp proof guy to come and look. the customer is now gonna take all the old plaster off then then the damp guy is gonna do his thing now the customer wants me to quote to re- render and set the wall. i know i have to sand and cement but what mix??? i was thinkin maybe a 6:1 mix with waterproofer. is this right??? also i was gonna two coat render then two coat skim it. any ideas or tips would be cool

cheers guys

Status
Not open for further replies.