Curved insulation board and fixing to render too

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ollieamb

Currently have an insitu concrete curve on a balcony with an upstand and down stand that need insulating and rendering.

The build up from the engineer is 225mm thick, however need to apply insulation of approx 70mm to come back to the facing block work. Not one company I have spoken to will advise on insulation on a curve? thinking of layering k5 kingspan in 3 tiers of 20mm mechanically fixed as the thicker stuff won't bend...

Our main worry is movement, we are going with parex on a full mesh .

anyone got any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 435
Cut the boards down into smaller sections fill gaps with expanding foam and rasp for shape

I am sure that you can get someone with a hot wire cutter to cut polystrene or similar blocks into the curved shape you want.

Not sure where you are based, but I used to supply this company in a previous job and they used to cut shapes out of poly using a hot wire - Premier Insulations Ltd (I hope they still do it.....)

Or...... batten the concrete, fill inbetween with flexible insulation (mineral, rock, etc..), then board out with Aquapanel Exterior and basecoat, mesh and render... Aquapanel can be curved down to a 1 mtr radius if cut into 300mm strips and 3 mtr rad in full width boards - just pick up at one end and it will start to bend, crack the core and it will become easier to curve..... (don;t score the face to curve it like a plasterboard, it will just break)

Good Luck!

use eps much easier to bend on the thinner sheets then just layer it up until you acheive the thickness you want.

Hi,
Try a lamella mineral fibre board 1200 x 200 stand them up adhesively fix them and then facet the curve with a rasp or scratchpad.Remember don't put the mechanical fixings in until you've got everything rasped up and your happy with the shape of the curve, this will stop you catching the fixing heads whilst rasping if this makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.