Damp reveals...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya

Right, i have had new triple glazing fitted and in one room i have a window that is somwhow getting rain in...

Look at the pictures... this is after a night of rain :-/

Its not condensation as it only happens when it rains... the windo is south facing...

My first thoughts are thay the wind is forcing the rain up the cill...

Can i fill the end of the window cill between the frame and the cill to stop the water or will this cock it right up... or have i totally missed something.

The company that fitted them has gone under now and i dont have the certificates either which is a cock as its the only reason i paid someone else to fit them was because of the certification. ..

Any way any ideas and suggestions would be very gratefully received

Danny

Help if i added the pictures

Attachments

• Damp reveals...
    1415139573281.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 547
  • Damp reveals...
    1415139586876.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,395
Danny check that the windows have weep-holes in them first off. Open it and look for two slots about 1,5 cm long in the 'trough' of the frame. And another two on the external side of the frame!

id go with beddy , like he says check the silicon , for how long it takes maybe cut the silicon out and redo it and see if it stops it, dont forget to do the silicon under the cill

The silicone on the reveals on the outside look fine...

but between the top of the sill and the bottom of the window there is a gap....

I have poured water inside that trough last week and it does come out of the bottom of the frame :)

I also need to mention that there is a window box right outside the window and the sill sits on that... not sure iif there is any sillicoon under the sill but I may just ad a bead along that edge just in case :)

i would definitely silicon where there is none between the sill and bottom of the window , does the sill fall away from the window so the rain water runs away from the window

i would definitely silicon where there is none between the sill and bottom of the window , does the sill fall away from the window so the rain water runs away from the window

Yep the window sill falls away..... first thing I checked :)

I dont want to fill the gap between the top of the sill and the bottom of the frame but right at the far ends I may just do that :)

Looks like it is is coming in the side of the frame , if the weep holes are working to get rid of water , i couldnt see water getting pushed up back up through the weep holes ....... They should be on a slope. If it was driving rain possibly though , but if thats the case ever ly window would leak on a windy rainy day ......

If the silly sits on top of the window box it sounds like when it is raining the water falling in or on your window box will be creeping up your sill and finding a weak point in either your silicone or where the window is fixed to the sill due to capillary action. Maybe try removing window box or lower it a few inches . 60 % of the time in right every time! ;)

Hiya

Right, i have had new triple glazing fitted and in one room i have a window that is somwhow getting rain in...

Look at the pictures... this is after a night of rain :-/

Its not condensation as it only happens when it rains... the windo is south facing...

My first thoughts are thay the wind is forcing the rain up the cill...

Can i fill the end of the window cill between the frame and the cill to stop the water or will this cock it right up... or have i totally missed something.

The company that fitted them has gone under now and i dont have the certificates either which is a cock as its the only reason i paid someone else to fit them was because of the certification. ..

Any way any ideas and suggestions would be very gratefully received

Danny
You might get the certificates if you contact fensa or building control.

Drill some holes all around your window reveals, and blow expanding foam in. Repeat process about 4 hours later with new holes. If you had box sashes before the void will take quite a bit of filling. This will cure your problem.
If I didn't know you and you could see the ground without binoculars I'd tell you it was rising damp :RpS_cool:

Could the water be getting in at the top or header and running down the sides. Seen this once before builder fitted stone headers with no drip water was getting in at the top.

The silicone on the reveals on the outside look fine...

but between the top of the sill and the bottom of the window there is a gap....

I have poured water inside that trough last week and it does come out of the bottom of the frame :)

I also need to mention that there is a window box right outside the window and the sill sits on that... not sure iif there is any sillicoon under the sill but I may just ad a bead along that edge just in case :)

Not sure what a window box is but if the cill sits on top of something there's a good chance you'll compromise the drip groove on the bottom of the cill which can draw moisture in

Might be worth getting hold of fensa they might be able to sort out a certificate

I have not got a certificates yet :-(

Told teh guy that he needed to be round in the next 7 days or I will be bouncing the credit card on them :-\

@irish_spread i think its that falling damp you were on about the other week eddie.....................:RpS_wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
You got a pic from outside? I'd say like before "the wick effect" capillary action of the water either finding a gap in the window sealant or like D4mp suggested crossing your cavity and causing the inside skin of your wall to get damp.

Have you had your cavity.Walls insulated by any chance recently?

The Scottish weather with huge nuts forecaster that does the BBC "weather and traffic where YOU are" predicted it or me :RpS_biggrin:

I think its most certainly rain coming in from somewhere...

I have 2 other windows south facing and no problems :-\

There is cavity wall insulation in the property :)

Cavity wall insulation that is getting offered for free at the moment is a recipie for disaster well more damp problems as the structure and build of a average 1950 it cavity wall with air bricks. Ok the walls ain't insulated but filling them with this blown in junk is filling up the cavity making the air brick serving no purpose and causing and damp within the cavity to be soaked up into this insulation and not being (air dried) as there will be no air flow causing damp problems in the cold areas of your home.

Could be a dirty wall tie, i'd still say open up if you can't see any external defects-cause. Endoscope would probably be a waste of time if it's full of insulation.

I think its most certainly rain coming in from somewhere...

I have 2 other windows south facing and no problems :-\

There is cavity wall insulation in the property :)

Fibreglass/ kingspan type/blown in/ cavity wall Butts ?

depends on the age of the property.
Cheap fix without seeing it would be render all around the wall with Sika (still blowing foam in the voids )

I think it was already opened up... looked ok :)

I dont want to do anything till this clown has a look then after that I will pull it apart and see :)

because it's penetrating damp. Blocked cavity, muck on cavity tie, raised grond level, leaking pipe, overflowing gutter. Would you like me to do a survey ?

Easy now, only offering my opinion. Some surveys for damp problems require a destructive survey

Easy now, only offering my opinion. Some surveys for damp problems require a destructive survey

Your opinion s welcome, if I find a damp problem in the future that I can't diagnose I'll get your endoscope to do an MRI lol

Status
Not open for further replies.