Darbys

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy isn't it extra work plumbing screeds I've never seen anyone do that and get pulled for it not being level

Now this going to sound big headed Dave but most of the time I put a screed on, rule it of and when I check it it's either there or there abouts straight away. It's just how I like to work, I suppose in some ways I might have earn't more over the years by not bothering but then again without being like I am perhaps I wouldn't have got the good jobs I have over the years.

On a 3m wall I'd only have two screeds, one at each internal (end) which are only ruled vertically and are checked for plumb using a level. After that the wall is ruled horizontally only.
On a longer wall I'd put the two screeds on then put a narrow band right across the wall, and once I'm happy that I've got it straight from one screed to the other I will drop a third or even a fourth screed down from the top strip. As long as these screeds are also plumb the wall will run through straight and true and be plumb.
This is why I'm not sure that the machine will suit me for internal floating, but we'll see.

Buy the book m8, fair play. I know what your saying about freehanding ruling off more...sometimes I find myself messing about trying to get it flat wishing i'd used screeds!

That's exactly what I'd like to be able to do on all but the larger walls but like you I'm not sure it'd work out.
As I said if I can't get the walls the way I want them using the machine it will be ditched just the same as it'll be with the skimming, if it doesn't work out I'll go back to hand applying it. And then if I don't like using it for the externals (bearing in mind almost all are S&C) as well then it will be moved on.

once you join, u can never leave andy

On a 3m wall I'd only have two screeds, one at each internal (end) which are only ruled vertically and are checked for plumb using a level. After that the wall is ruled horizontally only.
On a longer wall I'd put the two screeds on then put a narrow band right across the wall, and once I'm happy that I've got it straight from one screed to the other I will drop a third or even a fourth screed down from the top strip. As long as these screeds are also plumb the wall will run through straight and true and be plumb.
This is why I'm not sure that the machine will suit me for internal floating, but we'll see.

Intreasting andy...I like it...

I kinda get it, be mint if you could get a few photos sometime of the process lol...

once you join, u can never leave andy

Will Stu tattoo me with a serial number?

Intreasting andy...I like it...

I kinda get it, be mint if you could get a few photos sometime of the process lol...

The camera is going to be going into melt down on this job as we're having a new website built and will want some new pictures, so perhaps I'll learn how to put a couple on here.

Andy when i first started using machines in Germany in the olden day's , i also used to panic about "well how do i get my walls plumb and straight if i'm spraying the whole lot on",, cos i was taught the old picture frame method,... vertical screed in the right hand corner of the room and then working right to left (the correct way for a right hander) horizontals top n bottom and then every three metres another vert screed plumbed up and so on then fill in and rule off , bang on every time,.. but when you spray ,you look for any obvious signs that the wall is out and you try to get an even coverage, then flatten off with the h section (derby) then rule your edges in the same as you would with the picture frame method and then rule through, but you have pretty much got it when you have flattened off with the h section (derby) and are pretty much just tidying up with the rule (feather edge) ... you will not go back to hand applying once you get into the swing off it mate, only for the little bits of jobs and skimming in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.