Distemper

Members online

Turbo trowel

Can anyone please give me there knowledge on this dreaded distemper, I only seem to come across it in ceilings, I believe it’s something to do with old paint and is there a method to check for it as I only find it after I’ve put on the set. I’m at a point where I’m thinking of stopping over skimming and just over boarding then skim to save me any hassle and embarrassment . Genuine answers would be greatly appreciated.

It was a product that that came as a power and was mixed with water pre 1950. Looked gray until dry which is where the phrase old folks used ...Whiten a ceiling...also used to mark football pitches ect... I dustless sand it now as dont take long,then get gardz on it which is a sealer. Guess bluegrit would work to as a polymer. Other way is to wet and scrape but it will be a mess. To get it wet you need use a DIY spray gun and get plenty of water on....

If it's not too thick you can wet it and sponge it off, ballache though and that's the customers job. Or Artex stabilex will prime it to allow multi to adhere. Other brands of stabiliser available too.

I find a good brush down and then a watery coat of glue followed by a normal coat of glue works fine.

Stabilising solution will be fine then skim.
Gardz or sandtex exterior primer is similar to artex stable x I think.. Trouble is that distemper can be applied to think for sealer to work long term. Aldi £70 225mm head sander with 80g mirka mesh hooked/bodged to vacuum will do the job for most here I guess. Take it clean off. 12x12 ceiling will take about 15mins tops to sand off. Probably could use Pva then but I prefer sandtex or gardz or not tried but 50 50 sbr and pva mix some use?

Doing one today. Primed, pva, mesh, no loss on cornice depth. Strong and crack-free.
Distemper

How have fixed the mesh?
PVA goes on, then mesh when tacky, if no stick, then staples. Skim goes on, pushes through mesh and slightly underneath it. Tested this method, even pulling off a test patch when dried. The mesh ends up slightly off the substrate and embedded in the mesh.