Dividing a big ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

WireNC

Greetings. My first post.

I have recently done a plastering course after wanting to learn for a few years now.

After the course I plastered my box room to a decent standard. I pulled the old lath and plaster ceiling down. Boarded up and skimmed the whole room.

I am now tackling my living room ceiling which is too big to do at once with my current standard. I am simply not fast enough and I am still a rookie.

I remember on course we learnt the scrim tape method of dividing a wall/ceiling. I remember we plastered slightly over the scrim tape section then peeled it back. Perfect for dividing the wall. I can't however for the life of me remember the next step. How do you merge the next section to the last.

I am taught to use multi finish plaster. Applying one rough coat then a second coat. Peel the scrim tape back then there is a nice straight edge.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I have used same method loads of times, tho I use 2 layers of maskin tape, first coat,then lay in ure second coat,then once u have done ure final pass and happy with ure finish peel off the tape to leave nice clean edge, then just plaster up you're nice clean edge , it will still be damp enough to avoid a dry joint,hope this is of help to u

So do I have to start the next section straight away or can I leave it until the following day?

I was planning to spilt the ceiling into 3 sections done over 3 days. Is it best to just carry on and do it in 1 day?

ayup mate

if you do a couple of searches on here mate (top left of the page) you find a few topics on this

Best to do all on same day mate to avoid the dry joint. What size is the ceilin u hope to do?

14m2.
All boarded out and scrim taped.
Hope to start skimming tomorrow. A little aprehensive on how it turns out.

I can appreciate ure rookie status and apprehension mate, if u can't do all in one day try splittin it in 2 sections, then u only have one dry joint to tidy up,a bit of sandin may b all u have to deal with,what ever u feel comfortable with mate.don't bite off more than u can chew as they say,good luck, let us know how u get on

Greetings. My first post.

I have recently done a plastering course after wanting to learn for a few years now.

After the course I plastered my box room to a decent standard. I pulled the old lath and plaster ceiling down. Boarded up and skimmed the whole room.

I am now tackling my living room ceiling which is too big to do at once with my current standard. I am simply not fast enough and I am still a rookie.

I remember on course we learnt the scrim tape method of dividing a wall/ceiling. I remember we plastered slightly over the scrim tape section then peeled it back. Perfect for dividing the wall. I can't however for the life of me remember the next step. How do you merge the next section to the last.

I am taught to use multi finish plaster. Applying one rough coat then a second coat. Peel the scrim tape back then there is a nice straight edge.

Thank you in advance for your help.
on the plastering course you did you must off met other rookie plasteres why dont you ask one of them gift you a lift it be easier with 2 plus you both gaining experiance plus free labour , and when he needs a hand return the favour

I appreciate that you are a rookie mate but surely you could complete that size in 2 hits maximum?are you going over an existing ceiling?artex or plasterboard?if its an old ceiling give it 2coats of 50/50 pva n water and that will slow it down.even pva new plasterboard if needs be.be brave,and don't panic.if it starts drying a bit give it a brush with water and it will loosen it up for ya.

buy ya self a sponge float and if it gets ahead of ya sponge it up as you go to bring it back to life a bit, also the sponge float is awsome for patchin and feathering

dnt knock it till youve tried it thats all i have to say on it most people who knock them have never tried them or if they have not used them properly

Tried it a few times an not convinced, can't see the benifits an not a great finish, a tad gritty, maybe am just a bit of a cussy funt:RpS_wink:

Took 5 hours of hard graft.

Divided the ceiling into 3 sections and went for it. Sweat pouring and arms aching.

The joins don't look too bad. Ok for a first attempt. You can see them but they feel smooth.

Going to see how it goes over the next day or so as it dries.

I don't think that once it is painted white you won't even be able to see the joins.

I have 2 more ceilings of similar size so more work to do. I just want to become quicker and to get it right first time. I'm sure that will come in time.

dnt knock it till youve tried it thats all i have to say on it most people who knock them have never tried them or if they have not used them properly

jr where did you get your sponge from, what make is it and what size is it? im thinking of getting one but i dont know anything about them so info is good :RpS_thumbup:

Took 5 hours of hard graft.

Divided the ceiling into 3 sections and went for it. Sweat pouring and arms aching.

The joins don't look too bad. Ok for a first attempt. You can see them but they feel smooth.

Going to see how it goes over the next day or so as it dries.

I don't think that once it is painted white you won't even be able to see the joins.

I have 2 more ceilings of similar size so more work to do. I just want to become quicker and to get it right first time. I'm sure that will come in time.

just make sure your light doesnt shine upwards:RpS_wink:

looked all over the place p&p is the same everywhere :-( nearly £7 robbing terwats

I use em on bumpy ceilings/stair winders. Fook that tenner a go s**t, get a big normal car cleaning sponge :RpS_thumbup:

Theyre handy if youve thrown on too big a hit aswell, you can bring it back to life and close in

ive been trying to find that post where you wrote the best way to use it but i cant find it ggrrrr

one coating fill the joints and beads then lay a thicker coat over it all, let it pick up like you would for flattening, flatten it, this is where those speed skim or refina spats are good, soak it buy a garden sprayer, sponge it, then trowel it up it's like troweling the creamiest plaster you'll ever use

You'll figure out when to get on it Fter it's sponged too early and you won't press the lines out too late and you're ******

You can 2 coat sponge soak it and sponge it after you're first trowel on the second coat

To clean it put it in a bucket of water and press it with you're thumbs don't scrape it down the side of the bucket or you'll be buying one every 2 weeks

ive got a loft to do the week after next so im thinking it might be good for curving the ceiling/wall because the joiner has done the boarding and ill put the wage on it that the line wont be straight

I haven't got a clue why you want to use the sponge to curve it but if you have to curve it form the curve then put a coat over the formed curve aswell as the beads and scrim then one coat it all

If you've got splayed angles dub the edges out especially if there tapered and keep it neat in the angles you're trying to get it even in the one coat

Status
Not open for further replies.