Dot and Dab to Brick Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

herds

hi guys,

After all of your great help the 3 bedrooms are now made good.. skimmed and mist coated, all good so far.

I've moved onto the hallway and removed a big cupboard that kindly removed a lot of plaster from the wall, no problem on this, bond and skim later.

In the picture above you should be bale to make out the wooden door lining that goes from the floor to the top left corner then along the top. I want to skim this opening as I don't need a door there.

The plasterer I saw at the weekend who was doing a ceiling said what he would do is screw 9mm plasterboard to the lining, tape the joints (if any), angle bead then skim. This is fine however I'm conscious of how narrow the opening is already and I don't want to lose anymore space for the sake of convenience. Could I just remove the existing wooden lining on the bottom and sides and then Dot and Dab to the bare brick? then skim, I know its only about 40mm-50mm bit in already narrow opening I think its worth the extra labour.

yes ,you can remove the door liner and dry line. remove the liner carefully as i can see a wooden lintel there with about an inch of mortar laying on the door head.

no, there is a wood lintel about 1 inch above the door head. there is about 1 inch of mortar laying on the door frame when you remove the door head be carefull as this strip of mortar will fall .

no, there is a wood lintel about 1 inch above the door head. there is about 1 inch of mortar laying on the door frame when you remove the door head be carefull as this strip of mortar will fall .

Thanks malc, i think I get it now :D

The layout is like this from the top down:

1st Bricks
2nd Wooden Lintel
3rd Mortar
4th Wooden lining

That about right? so remvoving the lining and the mortar won't affect anything strucually(?)

Also, for this little bit of dot and dab could i pva the brick then using bonding as dabs? or is there a better product for this background.

Last edited:
just put some stud work inside the door casing and the board and skim, or take the casing out and put stud work in the opening and board (the stud work will strengthen the lintel by propping it up.. the wooden lintels were knackered in my house when i took the casings out)

hope this is what you mean

i think that you have mis read the thread he want to make the opening wider not block it up !

hmm.. entering builders territory now, could this brick opening be widened by adding a concrete lintel?

interesting :D

I think it would be a good idea however not sure I really want to have to piss around with building control.

it could be even wider if you get some steel, just knock the whole wall down :RpS_biggrin:

Don't think buildin control would give you to much hassle if any? From what I can see from your pics it ain't load bearing, as it's you loft above? And lath ceiling so unless the ceiling joists are resting on It or the wall continues right up in the loft witch I doubt, it ain't a major job to widen that door.

Cheers Guys, I love forums like this :) i've gone from:

skim the wood
to
screwplasterboard to the wood
to
remove wood and d&d
to
Widen doorway with a lintel

Cheers

Don't think buildin control would give you to much hassle if any? From what I can see from your pics it ain't load bearing, as it's you loft above? And lath ceiling so unless the ceiling joists are resting on It or the wall continues right up in the loft witch I doubt, it ain't a major job to widen that door.

Hi,

Loft/attic room above

The ceiling joists rest on this wall.

Just a foot maybe. Just so it looks likes obvious that it was previously a door there/makes the passage less narrow feeling.
just a foot! it started off just widen 40mm to 50mm! you will need to replace the lintel with a longer one then.

slam dunked...

...now I just have to work out how to make it look pretty, dot and dab? remove existing render and dot and dab or patch then skim, hmm, choices.

I suppose I have 2 options (hear me out :):

1) render beads + bonding..., angle beads then skim

2) remove existing plaster as seen in the photograph and dot and dab the walls.. angle beads then skim

slam dunked...

...now I just have to work out how to make it look pretty, dot and dab? remove existing render and dot and dab or patch then skim, hmm, choices.

Hi mate correct me if ime wrong but that looks like a prestressed lintol, if so shoud not be used in this situation a DS would not accept it these lintols are slightly bowed
and are laid bow up on new work with the new masonry laid above the weight of deflecting the lintol so the lintol works to the optimon. Years ago on wide spans we used to have to prop them up in the middle or they would just snapp but dont worry my friend what you have done will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.