drilling into artex any ideas?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris.v

i have to put up a plasterboard ceiling to skim over in my sons room due to how s**t the condition of the ceiling is at the moment. skimming over it is not an option as it is in poor condition and it is artexed from back in the 70s so obviously contains asbestos. my problem is my son has a bunk bed and the ceiling is pretty low. if i build a floating ceiling it will be to low realy but i dont really want to be be drilling into the ceiling joists unless i can do this safetly somehow. any ideas?

Pay a plaster to do it for you is the advice i could give you.
1970 artex obviously containes asbestos ????????????????????? have you had it tested ? chances are it does not contain asbestos and you can safely rip it down.
Just becuse the ceiling is old doesnt mean it contains asbestos it just means there is a small chance around 25% if the ceiling is pre 1985

Im training as a plasterer at the moment which is not ideal coz id prefer a experienced plasterer to come in and do it but cant afford it. im redoing our whole flat due to a bad fire in our block 6 months ago or so which killed 2 firemen. our flat was ruined and because of the contents insurance we had at the time it didnt cover too much so have had to spend a fotune this year. it contains asbestos coz the whole block has been tested. just looking for advise of any ideas, not just get a plasterer in. cheers anyway

don't need to get the drill out. just screw into joists. do a search on asbestos in artex on this forum. its white asbestos which has minimal health risks.

As steve said mate , is the cheaper option and you don't have to disturb the artex to find the joists , it's easy enough or you can go down the various other routes such as applying a generous coat of pva and allow to dry before boarding or staple a plastic membrane over the entire ceiling and then boarding or as suggested gypline it, there is a minimal risk from artex when disturbed by cutting sanding etc but if it remains in relatively large pieces then there is no real issue, if you do take it down then just follow the guidelines when disposing of it.
Personally i wouldn't worry too much just crack on and over board it

I have found that if I water my pva down a little more than usual & pva the artex ceiling leave it to dry a while & it scrapes back/off a treat!!!
Saves having to overboard?

I have found that if I water my pva down a little more than usual & pva the artex ceiling leave it to dry a while & it scrapes back/off a treat!!!
Saves having to overboard?

How long you been doing them like this Jay?

Chris v. There's enough decent advice above to get your job done -good luck mate, get yer kids room sorted for Chrimbo:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
A fair few months now bubbles mate. I just got sick of my skim peeling off the artex on 2nd trowell. Thing is when a 'blister' appears or it pulls off a little I end up scrapeing it back & before you know it ths whole ceiling as come down without too much effort but obviously loads of mess!! So I just thought the pva is obviously reacting with it & tried it before skimming.. so far so good??????:RpS_unsure:

artex ceilings? scrape back, pva at 2:1 water:pva twice, skim. never had it fail or blister. lost count of how many i've done. haven't got asbestosis.

I hope you haven't Pug, but it lies dormant for 20 years+ ......so you wouldn't know for sure. The no.1 reason for overboarding - or MY no.1 reason - is peace of mind knowing it won't shell or fall off. Ceilings are vulnerable, especially if there is a lot of foot traffic above - or kids jumping off beds n that - or diving off the wardrobe n things:-0

And this was my 600th post, so I'll just go and grab another tin to celebrate.....err -woohoo!!!!

Last edited:
my dad died at 57 of mysothelia (an asbestos related cancer) so i've looked into it. white asbestos is a VERY low risk, he died cos he worked with blue asbestos in the royal navy. again i'll reiterate, none of my ceilings have failed. the dust you breath from mixing your finish will do more harm, do you wear a mask when mixing up?

I just have to add that, as most experienced spreads on here know , you normally just overskim an artex ceiling, like pug said been doin it a long time and never had a come back, but for the less experienced over boarding may be the easiest option, these subjects get discussed over and over again and it may seem that some of us are pushing the board and skim option to put newbies off, but for a newbie it is much easier to skim on board than a substrate that you are not familiar with or know how is going to react with plasters that you apply to them, without sounding arrogant or cocky this is really basic stuff to most spreads on here and this sort off job is run of the mill, and most off us have learnt the hard way, luckily for you newbies all the answers are here (you just need to acquire the skills), so gleam the best advice from some of the best and crack on an do it the way you feel most comfortable with.

I've been doing this for 25 years and more and never even contemplated skimming onto artex. Surely by the time you have scraped and PVA'd the artex you could have overboarded the ceiling. Then you have a reasonably flat surface to skim onto, not arsing about with dubbing/filling artex before skimming - and therefore a LOT less weight (wet plaster) going onto the ceiling.

I've been doing this for 25 years and more and never even contemplated skimming onto artex. Surely by the time you have scraped and PVA'd the artex you could have overboarded the ceiling. Then you have a reasonably flat surface to skim onto, not arsing about with dubbing/filling artex before skimming - and therefore a LOT less weight (wet plaster) going onto the ceiling.

i agree --------overboard artex every time----

I hear what you are saying matey but if there is coving up especially the ornate stuff you just cannot overboard!!
I know its a bit of a piss about but like I said in an earlier post I now pva (watery) the artex then scrape, then pva proper. Seems ok so far! Admittedly only done about 3 or so like that but like I said no problems yet?? I used to put a skim layer of bonding coat on first too but again you are waiting around a while & mixing up again so it didn't save that much time that way?
I suppose everyone has to find out by their own experiences the best way to tackle certain jobs yet still be open to new ideas & what works for others!!

I hear what you are saying matey but if there is coving up especially the ornate stuff you just cannot overboard!!
I know its a bit of a piss about but like I said in an earlier post I now pva (watery) the artex then scrape, then pva proper. Seems ok so far! Admittedly only done about 3 or so like that but like I said no problems yet?? I used to put a skim layer of bonding coat on first too but again you are waiting around a while & mixing up again so it didn't save that much time that way?
I suppose everyone has to find out by their own experiences the best way to tackle certain jobs yet still be open to new ideas & what works for others!!

yes --done the bonding thing yrs ago & skim ----takes a long time ---

your right with the large cornice though ----have bonded and skimmed some of those---were 10ft high as well---

you just have to do what works for you !!!

your right with the large cornice though ----have bonded and skimmed some of those---were 10ft high as well---

Ha ha they are always 10ft high!!!! I've got three rooms to this next week as it happens exactly that !!

so many different opinionson the artex... so when overboarding.. how do u find the joists?.
Do you have to go where the edge....actually im starting a new post about this ........

No need to start a new post spark just do a search!!
This has been asked about a million times now:huh:
So the answers are already on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.