Eifs

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

essexandy

The Lake Governor
Ok I've next to no idea about these systems so need some advice.
Next year I'm wanting to insulate my old cottage, it's walls are absolutely all over the place and that's how I want to keep them. Also the present render is a pretty all over the place finish with lots of dips and hollows and a few raised patterns. There is also a proud plinth. Is there a system that would suit this job as most of what I've seen seem to be thin coat renders onto the panels.
As Simply would say "if you don't have a proper knowledgeable reply to make then don't bother at all". lol

you are going to struggle mate with an ewi system as the better values (enough to warrant doing it anyway) will be based on at least a 90mm slab square and flat board that is, or 50-60mm phenolic either way same problems =1 cladding over the shapes you have now depending on how bad they are and 2 it leaving you with a flat wall.

have you looked into the pre blended mortars that have insulation fibres and loose eps balls in the powder, this would be a way to retain the Rustic shapes but dont think you will get much of a u value from it.

Sounds like you may be better off insulating from the inside, and keep the character of the cottage intact, as you wish.

you are going to struggle mate with an ewi system as the better values (enough to warrant doing it anyway) will be based on at least a 90mm slab square and flat board that is, or 50-60mm phenolic either way same problems =1 cladding over the shapes you have now depending on how bad they are and 2 it leaving you with a flat wall.

have you looked into the pre blended mortars that have insulation fibres and loose eps balls in the powder, this would be a way to retain the Rustic shapes but dont think you will get much of a u value from it.

Thanks for that I didn't think it would be straight forward, perhaps if I strip of the existing render back to brick and get hold of a sheet or two of insulation and see how it flexes to the shape of the wall.

Sounds like you may be better off insulating from the inside, and keep the character of the cottage intact, as you wish.

No doubt easier but I'd rather loose the looks outside rather inside to be honest. I'm already going to be doing away with the thatched roof so it'll never look the same again anyway.
So what is the thickest render that I could use on insulation to try and rustify it. I know there's no such word.

Thanks for that I didn't think it would be straight forward, perhaps if I strip of the existing render back to brick and get hold of a sheet or two of insulation and see how it flexes to the shape of the wall.

No doubt easier but I'd rather loose the looks outside rather inside to be honest. I'm already going to be doing away with the thatched roof so it'll never look the same again anyway.
So what is the thickest render that I could use on insulation to try and rustify it. I know there's no such word.

Rustification is a word often used by architects to describe what we know more commonly as ashlar cuttings /grooves.

Last edited:
is it listed by any chance andy? just the loophole exists to get round the regs and you could go overboard with insulating elsewhere? just an out of the box sort of idea? solar panels and ground source heat pumps etc...
even then, the u values are based on whole house performance anyway, so even if you used something like a space blanket outside followed by eml and eps insulated dust and then went totally bananas in the floor and roof you might just hit it? prolly not like, but if its listed you wont have to... im prolly talking bollox so ill shut me cake hole.. :RpS_unsure:

I'd sell it and buy a small modern house with insulated Walls and a nice villa in Barbados :)

Seems you intend to spend a lot of money on this ( have you considered knocking it down and re developing the site. )

the insulation is secondary to keeping the character of an existing old building.. i think? problems arise when youre governed by regs....

you could put 200mm thick insulation on and carve it with a hot knife

Seems you intend to spend a lot of money on this ( have you considered knocking it down and re developing the site. )

My architect has told me to knock it down and put two on the plot many times but I really like it here.
It's not listed Chris and I'm already planning on solar panels etc. but just because I want it all not because I've been told to.

Andy, do you have any pictures of elevations we could see ?

Me work out how to put pictures up on here that's a laugh. It's mainly low stuff with two little gables. Across the front elevation it's not even one sheet high (assuming 2.4x1.2)

you could put 200mm thick insulation on and carve it with a hot knife

you could do this yes it would have to be EPS board tho but still will be a pain as most mesh coats are between 3mm and 8mm max all depends how shapely you want it. we use a hot knife from time to time but not for what you want

you could do this yes it would have to be EPS board tho but still will be a pain as most mesh coats are between 3mm and 8mm max all depends how shapely you want it. we use a hot knife from time to time but not for what you want

So could I put an 8mm mesh coat on that's dragged and then another decent coat over that? How much sheer force can the adhesion between the mesh coat and the panels handle?

Use rock wool slabs bonded with adhesive then knock in the hammer fixings to differing levels (if you get what i mean) so the slabs are like undulating , then base rend n mesh , and top in whatever you want, might be a bit awkward, but do able

hack off the old render then re-render it flat... then put your EPS on... then you can shape your EPS (poystyrene) with a rasp then you can mesh it... it will be a bit fiddly depending on how mush you rasp the EPS but this will give you the effect you need as well as the insulation properties you require

you could always just get me in to do it andy? just leave the gear an ill get on with it... it'll look f'ckin shite but thats the whole point innit? :RpS_laugh:

you can also use a heat gun to wear the eps in this way. the mesh coat will take a hell of a beating and will stand up to force and impact, if you go with the right system.

to be honest mate its all sounding a bit OTT I would bite the bullet and straighten it up benfit from your uvalues and save on you energy bill.

You wouldnt normally be going over the 8mm coat no, your 8mm will be around max, it should remain lightweight as poss over, insulation.

If you use maite/mesh basecoat around 4-5mm then let it pick up a touch then fine sponge it just to finish it gives a nice rustic ish kind of finish that can be painted rather than finished with a coloured texture - most of the systems will spec you a further 1.5mm finish coat that is coloured with no painting to do

If you ring parex and tell em what you are proposing to do, ask them to send you a sample of the parextherm acrylic system with maite. then you can see what you can xpect with one of these systems in your hand. you will be able to realise better what you are going to be up against. get a better idea of where to go with it

Last edited:
im not up to speed on these things but why cant you build a floating metal frame around the outside insulate it board it with appropiate board and then use a nice thincoat system on that or is that just stupid

im not up to speed on these things but why cant you build a floating metal frame around the outside insulate it board it with appropiate board and then use a nice thincoat system on that or is that just stupid

Yeah thanks for that Rock and once I've got the frame and thin coat system done I could re-roof it with steel and then it really will look like a beautiful warehouse not a shitty 200 year old cottage.:RpS_wink:

Mine are working alright Chris
grinning-smiley-003.gif

My Inlaws neighbours have just had there old cottage Done.They had all the old rustic render taken off and a new thin coat system put on, all flat and square, then new thatch.It looks real nice, reckon youd be surprised how good it would look flat, and be a lot of esier.

Status
Not open for further replies.