Entire inside of old brick home covered in cement render. Fixable?

maxi2024

Hi all,

Been lurking here as a guest for a while since I started having issues and gaining knowledge slowly about my case, so here goes:

I had an ignorant renderer slap about 6 metric tonnes of sand & cement render (w/ hydrated lime added) throughout my 1880s, brick & lime mortar home (interiors only). I didn't know there was such a thing as lime render and just spoke to the wrong people, as it turned out. Here in Australia, it's rare to find a renderer who understands breathability, movement etc. It's just, "you want sand n cement or acrylic mate?"

It has adhered spectacularly well, but there are big patches that are not drying out super well. Note: this is a terrace house and the below photo is an attached wall to a neighbouring dwelling.

Moisture meter showing up to 21% in places. Removing this render now will likely cause significant damage to the bricks underneath.

What's the best way to go from here?

The most educated advice I have received is the below:
1. Used the wrong lime in hydrated lime - should've used putty lime.
2. The sand & cement render will breathe, although it won't breathe well. With no water entering the walls, it should eventually dry out.
3. I can white set over the top of this as white set is breathable.
4. I should not paint the white set but instead use a lime wash that breathes.

How good does this advice sound in your opinion? Would you add anything? Dismiss anything?

Is there a way to fix this effectively?

Here's a pic underneath of the worst section (Note: this is an attached wall to another dwelling that has also cement render on the other side). Rendered 6 months ago and roof has been on for 1.5 months. Thanks in advance for your help on this!

Max

Entire inside of old brick home covered in cement render. Fixable?

Hi all,

Been lurking here as a guest for a while since I started having issues and gaining knowledge slowly about my case, so here goes:

I had an ignorant renderer slap about 6 metric tonnes of sand & cement render (w/ hydrated lime added) throughout my 1880s, brick & lime mortar home (interiors only). I didn't know there was such a thing as lime render and just spoke to the wrong people, as it turned out. Here in Australia, it's rare to find a renderer who understands breathability, movement etc. It's just, "you want sand n cement or acrylic mate?"

It has adhered spectacularly well, but there are big patches that are not drying out super well. Note: this is a terrace house and the below photo is an attached wall to a neighbouring dwelling.

Moisture meter showing up to 21% in places. Removing this render now will likely cause significant damage to the bricks underneath.

What's the best way to go from here?

The most educated advice I have received is the below:
1. Used the wrong lime in hydrated lime - should've used putty lime.
2. The sand & cement render will breathe, although it won't breathe well. With no water entering the walls, it should eventually dry out.
3. I can white set over the top of this as white set is breathable.
4. I should not paint the white set but instead use a lime wash that breathes.

How good does this advice sound in your opinion? Would you add anything? Dismiss anything?

Is there a way to fix this effectively?

Here's a pic underneath of the worst section (Note: this is an attached wall to another dwelling that has also cement render on the other side). Rendered 6 months ago and roof has been on for 1.5 months. Thanks in advance for your help on this!

Max

View attachment 80255

You need to find out the reason for it not drying out.

Has it been dry and then patches appeared?
Or just a really slow process?