External lime render - central Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizselfbuild

My self build has gone well and we have been in for a year. Now I have to make the old house down the road in central Bristol habitable.

It was built about 1870. It used to be part of a terrace - butterfly roof. Between the luftwaffe and the council slum clearance, it is now detached - or link attached. To be honest, this house would not fetch 160,000 at the moment.

The materials used in construction were not great - particularly weakly fired bricks and freestone detailing. When I bought it, there had been a few insults inflicted on it including noblow rendering over the freestone. Through ignorance and bad advice I did some more things which were not wise - re-rendering in S+C with waterproofer.

The render is now cracked and in places ready to fall off. In other places, the cement will be stuck hard to the bricks and removing it with a kango will damage their faces.

The front elevation (7.6x4.5m) needs to be rerendered as soon as possible. I am thinking this needs to be lime.

The side elevation faces the prevailing wind and has no openings: I think this needs external insulation. The access for this elevation needs co-operation with the neighbour. I think it will wait till next year.

The questions:
I guess I have to have *all* the old stuff chipped off.
Anyone with lime experience in Bristol?
Anyone want to talk about insulation systems?

Brizselfbuild@hunnifer.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.