External render - advice on existing job

Tobeman

Hi all

First up, I'm a soft-skinned office worker with little to no render/plaster experience - go easy on me.

As part of a large house renovation and extension project, we had the property part sand/cement rendered. Even before painting I thought the job looked a bit rough, but I'd never seen fresh unpainted render before up close. When I raised it with my builder he told me it would look better once it was finished after painting etc.

Well it was done in the autumn last year and now we're into our first proper summer since it has been completed. It still looks crap. There is a division line halfway up between the storeys that I was told "they all have" yet when I look around at other properties I can count on one hand ones that do, and those that do look considerably neater. Something to do with the size of the wall and drying time?

In addition, in the afternoon sun as it clips the north/north-west face of the property it looks truly horrendous in my opinion. Swirl marks galore. See below attached.

Finally, on the east face single-storey extension we have a floor to ceiling crack that has already appeared.

Not knowing the process or having seen it done before, is there anything glaring amiss here? Does it just need more paint or was the whole render job ****? I can't say I've seen fresh render this bad before but my builder has basically washed his hands of it. Should I be expecting cracking already?

Keen for any advice/suggestions from those in the know, and if any installers are based in North Herts/Beds region and want to come have a look then please do get in contact. If it is unworkable I am thinking of replacing it again.

Thanks

Attachments

• C2HQBCNp[1].jpg
    C2HQBCNp[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 131
Don't paint it. It does need more work to sort that mess out. The crack needs a movement bead fitted .

Don't paint it. It does need more work to sort that mess out. The crack needs a movement bead fitted .
Thanks @malc. For the uninitiated such as myself, what do you suggest needs doing? We've been broadly happy with the builder and have had a good relationship during the project, but he subbed out the render and we're not happy so keen to leverage the goodwill and get them to resolve.

Hi all

First up, I'm a soft-skinned office worker with little to no render/plaster experience - go easy on me.

As part of a large house renovation and extension project, we had the property part sand/cement rendered. Even before painting I thought the job looked a bit rough, but I'd never seen fresh unpainted render before up close. When I raised it with my builder he told me it would look better once it was finished after painting etc.

Well it was done in the autumn last year and now we're into our first proper summer since it has been completed. It still looks crap. There is a division line halfway up between the storeys that I was told "they all have" yet when I look around at other properties I can count on one hand ones that do, and those that do look considerably neater. Something to do with the size of the wall and drying time?

In addition, in the afternoon sun as it clips the north/north-west face of the property it looks truly horrendous in my opinion. Swirl marks galore. See below attached.

Finally, on the east face single-storey extension we have a floor to ceiling crack that has already appeared.

Not knowing the process or having seen it done before, is there anything glaring amiss here? Does it just need more paint or was the whole render job ****? I can't say I've seen fresh render this bad before but my builder has basically washed his hands of it. Should I be expecting cracking already?

Keen for any advice/suggestions from those in the know, and if any installers are based in North Herts/Beds region and want to come have a look then please do get in contact. If it is unworkable I am thinking of replacing it again.

Thanks

Not great

Not cheap to sort.

Thin coat the whole thing if it's sound (solid)

If not (blown or alive), all off and go again.