external screed??

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jace

right guys ive been asked to screed 3 areas in a garden, but i was just wondering will screed be ok outside to the elements and what would you add to the mix just to keep it weather tight, just waterproofer or is there something special (never been asked to screed outside before)
also they want a shiney shiney finish can i work this with a trowel if im paitent and just keep working it as its going off or again does anyone know of a better way to get the desired shiney finish. any help please:RpS_blushing:

never used it before ive got about 4 inches thick to lay it in? can you not do it with normal screed flyn??

For outside use, screed is a NO NO. It is not a hard wearing surface,and can not be polished.I would suggest you consider using reinforced concrete and [power float it. If the area is small then polish by hand until the desired finish is reached,but be aware not too shiney as this may present a slip hazard.

its just goin to be used to put plant pots and what have ya on it really nothing much more, i dnt really want to use concrete as its messy and the gardens just been landscaped, she had bark round the edges but it went mouldy very quickly and the dogs kept digging it up. i thought mabey if i add waterproofer to the mix and polished it up by hand it might be ok, do you think this wouldnt work mark, what about if it had a resin layer on top or if the resin was troweld into the top as it was goin off to harden the surface and give the desired polish, they want glass in the mix aswell

Screeds are used to produce a level/or not level surface in some cases and are always covered, ie tiles carpets etc. Concrete will be the cheapest route at 100mm thick,and the most robust for external use, and is only as messy as the layer. Keap it lean not pissy and you will be fine. Check this out for resin finishes that will go over it.

PICSBOND: Pattern Imprinted Concrete Supplies

also, before you do any concreting stick some good quality visquine [at least 250mu]under as a membrane to prevent weeds from growing up through. but as said screed externally is a crackers idea.

no worries guys cheers i was wondering if it would work but i thought it sounded mad enough it just might haha cheers for the link mark and the menbrane advice owls, so just to clarify if i kept the mix nice and just kept the same ideas as the screed i.e keep running the trowel over it as it picks up (paitence haha) will the glass and the aggregate be exposed on the surface as in be able to see the colours then resin it or would you wait till it was almost gone off then trowel the resin into the top to seal it all in.
sorry to ask so many questions but ive only ever been asked to just lay concrete as a base for something or normal internal screed be it grano or what ever.
cheers in advance:RpS_thumbsup:

Screeds a no no as has been said Jay do it in concrete, give me a shout and ile show you how its done.

ive just read the info on pics and it says apply the resin after so that seems easy enough clean it down jetwash and what have ya brush first coat on then spray second coat, cheers for the help guys and lucius i might just be ringing ya to help me haha, iv got a few bits to do first though, took on 92m2 of screed today and render a house:RpS_thumbsup: wehey

If you want an exposed aggregate with resin coat then lay your conny, float when ready then a trowel with the steel, day after spray with acid and jet wash , this will expose the aggregate/glass, when dry top in the resin.
other option is to conny it, float it and when cured and dry enough is to resin bond aggregate either by casting or mixing with the resin go the to the pics link Mark put up, loads of info there, and that is a good tip from owls regarding the dpm under the connyas this will prevent moisture coming up through the conny and blowing your resin coat in time

new idea had been thrown at me guys concrete base left lower than finish level then sand and cement spread over this and push large stones into the surface just want to make sure the sand and cement knocked up like same consistancy as render,spread on the top of the concrete will be ok wnt it? i figure it will be as its ok outside with render and bickwork patios and such forth??
again sorry for all the questions, they just keep ringing me with different ideas that ive never tried before but thier easy enough to complete just wondering if they will work?
thank you all and love you long time:RpS_thumbsup:

I screeded some dog run outside 15 years ago hand mixed 3/1 mix with 2 litres of sbr in each mix then after floated splashed sbr on top when troweling smooth got really good finish and never cracked or top perish and as they for my dad always kept a eye on it was about 50 sq mts can get screeds down to 20 mm with sbr no probs

yeah i was wondering this i did a grano screed outside on notting hill police station a few years ago

Lafarge supply a product in the agility range, it's a self levelling concrete that when dappled leaves a very smooth finish

Status
Not open for further replies.