First commercial job need advise.

Members online

Hi guys, just like to say I have been reading this forum for a few years and it has helped me alot with this trade I have fallen in love with.

So a bit of back story about my self, I have been plastering on my own for 5 years, I currently have 2 other guys working with me, we have mostly only done domestic plastering where I have been pricing jobs based on a mixture of guide prices for the area I am working in and how long a room will take with a base day rate.
Recently I have been recommended by my biggest client to a commercial job, as it stands, i have never priced a commercial job.

Can any one advise me as how to make sure I am being paid correctly.
How will I calculate what has been done daily?
Do I go around and measure each wall, calculate sqm of each wall and add it all together ?
Should they provide a drawing with the total sqm of each area?
Any advise will really be appreciated guys thanks alot.
No disrespect here but I’m going to be honest with you ..
That post has made you sound like you have got no idea what so ever on how to go about a job that size??
Can you not get it on day rate?
f**k**g day rate???
Give me a shout if that happens never in a million years ..

Hi guys, just like to say I have been reading this forum for a few years and it has helped me alot with this trade I have fallen in love with.

So a bit of back story about my self, I have been plastering on my own for 5 years, I currently have 2 other guys working with me, we have mostly only done domestic plastering where I have been pricing jobs based on a mixture of guide prices for the area I am working in and how long a room will take with a base day rate.
Recently I have been recommended by my biggest client to a commercial job, as it stands, i have never priced a commercial job.

Can any one advise me as how to make sure I am being paid correctly.
How will I calculate what has been done daily?
Do I go around and measure each wall, calculate sqm of each wall and add it all together ?
Should they provide a drawing with the total sqm of each area?
Any advise will really be appreciated guys thanks alot.
Sorry but you have not got a clue my man..
Stick to what you know trust me or you will get f**k*d over..

machine_gun_facebook_like_by_donkeysneakers-da9tn3n.jpg

A commercial job needs an old hand ,someone USed to the contracts , needs to have the correct paperwork in płace ,needs to have A QS getting a valuation in , the logistics is not the same as small works ,the Proper insurance , then you need the Proper tradespeople who can do a Proper job and Turn up , you need your Accounts in order and the credit to supply , weigh it all up, it is do able

Ran one last year and it nearly killed me. Don't count yourself in as a worker as you'll be spending 170 hours a week running round like a nutter trying to keep everyone happy/working, chasing money, hiding from suppliers debt collectors etc

The job was a roaring success and opened on time.
Meanwhile I was scratting around trying to find the £20K I was short...

Ran one last year and it nearly killed me. Don't count yourself in as a worker as you'll be spending 170 hours a week running round like a nutter trying to keep everyone happy/working, chasing money, hiding from suppliers debt collectors etc

The job was a roaring success and opened on time.
Meanwhile I was scratting around trying to find the £20K I was short...
Sounds like more than a nightmare??
Did you sleep well??

Sounds like more than a nightmare??
Did you sleep well??

No, I worked most nights as well. But that was better than sitting awake in a bed stressing.
The worst bit was afterwards when all the suppliers started sending the legal letters threatening court action.

I learnt a lot but it'll be a few years before I try anything like that again.

No, I worked most nights as well. But that was better than sitting awake in a bed stressing.
The worst bit was afterwards when all the suppliers started sending the legal letters threatening court action.

I learnt a lot but it'll be a few years before I try anything like that again.
What you are honestly thinking about putting yourself through that again??
“Are you f**k**g crazy??”

Yes, but...
I learnt a lot and would do a hell of a better job second time round...and charge more.
As mentioned before, I wouldn't count my hours towards the job for starters. Top one though is to nip things in the bud and dump people the minute they start playing up. I gave too many second chances and ended up getting pissed around on the plastering*, which set the second fix behind and ended up paying sparkies to watch plasterers etc

I'm getting a cold sweat just thinking about it :berrinche:

What you are honestly thinking about putting yourself through that again??
“Are you f**k**g crazy??”

Sometimes you have to take a risk.

I remember standing quaking in my boots one morning because I was taking the plunge.

I had about £3k in my hand that I was going to spend that morning. Doesn't sound a lot, but it was in the recession, I was close to homeless and I wasn't going to get another £3k any time soon.

As it happened, I pulled it off and that's fed me for the best part of 10 years.

The OP can bet his shirt or chicken out and continue to watch men who did and won drink champagne.

Up to him.

Sometimes you have to take a risk.

I remember standing quaking in my boots one morning because I was taking the plunge.

I had about £3k in my hand that I was going to spend that morning. Doesn't sound a lot, but it was in the recession, I was close to homeless and I wasn't going to get another £3k any time soon.

As it happened, I pulled it off and that's fed me for the best part of 10 years.

The OP can bet his shirt or chicken out and continue to watch men who did and won drink champagne.

Up to him.
That job nearly wrote the poor geezer off and you are promoting taking a chance again?
It’s the building trade and people get arse f**k*d pretty quickly in this game.. if that was myself I’d personally not want the hassle of that again..

That job nearly wrote the poor geezer off and you are promoting taking a chance again?
It’s the building trade and people get arse f**k*d pretty quickly in this game.. if that was myself I’d personally not want the hassle of that again..

I'm promoting nothing.

Me spending my last few quid didn't make me rich but it did give me a nice cushion that has made me a lot more comfortable over the past few years.

I'm just pointing out that only the brave make a fortune.

Selling pre owned anal beads on eBay is hardly gonna make you a millionaire is it

You'd be surprised.

Think outside the box.

Pre-owned anal beads off you or your elephantine mrs, probably not.

Britney Spears' anal beads might be worth a bit more.

It's not like the customer can check.

You'd be surprised.

Think outside the box.

Pre-owned anal beads off you or your elephantine mrs, probably not.

Britney Spears' anal beads might be worth a bit more.

It's not like the customer can check.
Says the man who lives above a shop with a dog and is a truck driver

61833BB3-8CA4-42E3-B369-19977FE320AF.jpeg
Your just a F*****g Muppet pal...

Youd get eaten alive on a building site!
I was thinking the same...
Correct.

That's why I have a business (not connected to plastering) and you don't.
So can I ask what you are so interested in “the plasterers forum” if you have a business that makes you a good living??
Or is it just you being the old irritating knob that is “stevieo”..

View attachment 22330

if you have a business that makes you a good living??

It doesn't. It did for a bit. Did very well too, but the world moved on, the internet evolved and everyone at my level got pushed out.

I had a couple of years on a couple of grand a week and it went down to ... well, it's worth having but you'd struggle to live on it.

Not much call for snipers* in civvi st so I only have two other things that I know anything about, trucking and plastering.

Seems best to me that he best thing for me is to drive and do a bit of plastering on the side. Plus take the piss out of you.

*I was never a sniper.

You are definitely a funny c**t I will give your that..
Without you and all your bullshit this site would be very boring..
Great minds think alike my man because believe it or not I “love” to rip you aswell..

It doesn't. It did for a bit. Did very well too, but the world moved on, the internet evolved and everyone at my level got pushed out.

I had a couple of years on a couple of grand a week and it went down to ... well, it's worth having but you'd struggle to live on it.

Not much call for snipers* in civvi st so I only have two other things that I know anything about, trucking and plastering.

Seems best to me that he best thing for me is to drive and do a bit of plastering on the side. Plus take the piss out of you.

*I was never a sniper.
I know you like to have a lovely open mind but when it comes to over stepping the mark with another geezers missis you need to have a think about what you are saying..
People on here might think I’m a bit of a c**t at times but I would never over step the mark ..

Is that the best you can come up with??
Look have a good think about what you said??
At least I had the front to put you right unlike half the sheep on here that said f**k all..
You know you made a c**t of yourself when you said that s**t about you know what..
Yea a joke is a joke but I always knew your mindset would one day lead to you stepping over the line..
The trouble is you are talking to another fella that knows exactly what you are about..
You could have made the joke quite funny until the brought the geezers missis into the convo you f**k*d up and you know you f**k*d up..