floating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash21

hi every1 im fairly new to plastering and would like some opinions please. when rendering i lay up a scatch coat and the following day ill lay up the second coat straighten it off with a darby and float it inn when its time. i see the big long 4ft floats on the market. what do u lot think of them ? do u use them instead of a normal float to save time? i work with an old school plasterer so he knows nothing about this and isnt keen to learn. could any1 advise me please

With rendering it all depends on the SUCTION like if it is on blocks old brickwork etc. If it were me I would be leaving it more then a day. When I rub up I would just use a plastic float and maybe just lightly go over it with a sponge. Like Richard says them other floatss are s**t.

fair enough .so do you use a darby to flatten off still and float in normally. is there any tool or method i can use to get better results speed and quality ?

isint that what darbys are for? i just used it as a fether edge to straighten the render,fill any hollows and float it ? like i said i havent been in the game long but its working ok. im keen to up my game if i can so appreaciate any help thanks men

Ash if your ok with a darby then stick with it I myself use wood rules each to there own .

yes henry the guy i work with taught me this way aswell he uses a wood rule/ 3ftbatten and goes over it in all motions pulling off the high points and filling the hollows works a treat and looks almost float finished, ive just started using a darby as a subby came on the job and showed me his way which i found it much quicker

yes henry the guy i work with taught me this way aswell he uses a wood rule/ 3ftbatten and goes over it in all motions pulling off the high points and filling the hollows works a treat and looks almost float finished, ive just started using a darby as a subby came on the job and showed me his way which i found it much quicker

Maybe i read this wrong but does he just use a 3ft rule? How the hell could you get a wall straight/flat using just that!

No you have it wrong plastering2 Ash was saying his mate has 3' battens not rules. Spunk a local lad rendererd a gable end useing one of those 4' plastic floats did a really good job .

No you have it wrong plastering2 Ash was saying his mate has 3' battens not rules. Spunk a local lad rendererd a gable end useing one of those 4' plastic floats did a really good job .

thank **** for that i was trying to get my head around how someone could use a 3ft rule on a big wall

Im always in the opinion that the bigger the feather edge you can use the better, the straighter the wall the easier to float!

Status
Not open for further replies.