Funny Request?????

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oasis

just been to see a job today, small 3x3 skimed room, the guy wants all the corners curved ? no straight lines as he is going to use it for a small film studio and needs curved walls, ganna be a funny one my thinking was to use bonding and a straight edge then a brush to blend the corners in. bit of a experiment reali! said i will do it on a day rate and use a 25 multi 75 bonding mix,

anyone done anythink like this before??????/

i did a swimming pool in render like this few months back...
i'd run the corners in with bonding, i used the lip of a builders bucket to run vertically upwards to form the corner then blended it in as it was picking up using both trowel and straight edge...

have the ceiling first before this though so youre not p'ing around with the corners...

when the bondings ready have your walls prepped and hit the 4 walls in one go..

30m2, try the drywall adhesive trick if you like or prep the walls with pva / wba to give you the time to work the corners in...

sounds a pig but if youve got your corners formed well enough it'll be easy mate....

wouldnt bother with the bonding/multi mix..

as chris says mate the only probs with it is when you paint it you cant define a wall from a ceiling

he wants the celing line curved and the corners curved and EVEN the floor line curved! on to the tiled floor!!!!!!!!!

i'd get a plastic curved tool the tape jointers use and bond the curves out .........skim it free hand and dry sponge it when its near ready for a polish .......tricky little bastid job that mate

You're gonna have fun doing the top corners where 2 walls meet each other and also meet the ceiling!

there is even more to this job! there are to small pear's on each side of one wall half way up rite in the corners! he wants me to curve theys in as well! ganna need 10 bags of bonding!

Once worked on a penthouse flat where the owner was into his classical music and he went one step further and didn't want any straight walls! Every internal wall in the place was curved and he wanted it coved as well, the builder was looking for months before he could find someone happy to do the whole place including coving.

i went to do a job it was in the middle of nowhere and this guy said that he beleived bad spirits lived in corners and that every angle had to be rounded off i went and got a peice of zink moulded to the correct curve it took forever to do

i plastered a four storey stairwell,and they wanted all the walls curved top to bottom,i fixed plasterboard to the corners onto battens and then bonding,you could fix ply and eml then bonding either way it's less dubbing out on the internal corner.

just a thought but if its all gonna be painted white and theres to be no funny light reflections etc it might be an idea to bond out the corners and set them in with finish before having the walls and ceiling in one hit, that way you wont be getting stripes from over trowelling the curves but youll be able to blend into em nicely cos they wont have completely dried yet.. soon as youve given the curves a firm 2nd trowel after 2nd mix, knock the big one up...
means you dont have to panic so much getting the curves bang on...
tricky though..

its got to be impossible to get any sort of form in the corners ......a lad i used to know got the gear in then stuck his face in it and screwed his face up running his nose up and down the angle .........give it a light sponge after ;)

richardbrown said:
it'll be tricky getting the corners looking good like a mitred cove
dont reckon thats the idea rich, i reckon its got to be crease free for projection backgrounds and the like..
bit like the inside of a tupperware box

pwi said:
i went to do a job it was in the middle of nowhere and this guy said that he beleived bad spirits lived in corners and that every angle had to be rounded off i went and got a peice of zink moulded to the correct curve it took forever to do

I think this bloke was right about bad spirits living in corners haveing seen some of the internals left by some spreads :eek:

i knew a bloke who put toothpaste round his bedroom windows and stuffed socks in the gap under the door "to stop the hands and faces coming in" happy days

I think there used to be a rubber tool (no Spunky) in the Refina catalouge for doing rounded internals, may be worth a look.

wot about a big plastic bottle, 1 litre type. they tend to be round at the bottom. used them in pools a few times. need to know really how big'a curve the bloke wants........got it. cove the fecker ;D

Love this sort of work , how come you get al these sorts of job's , every one you post a lately seems to be something a bit different , post some pics when you done it please, can't see it being too much of a problem you have had some decent suggestions so far , i liked the gyproc cove idea ;D ;D

Never done it but i thought you fixed battens the required distance from the corner and then made a template to the required radius notched out to run up the battens. Chriss did you realy say you used bonding in a swimming pool.
Lucius

What about using coving to form the curves, get it stuck on tight and 3 coat skim to the arris on the edge of the coving. Gonna give you perfect curves, cheap and easy to do.

That's just reminded me, I did a job years ago where this bloke had us cove down the internals, if that gives a wide enough curve then Apprentices idea to blend the walls into the cove could be your answer.
Just remember Oasis if you do use this method you must use standard gyproc cove not the swan neck pattern ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.