Help - 1930s cinder block walls!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahjane

Hello and help!

I am renovating my bathroom and when taking off the old tiles it pulled off some of the underlying plaster and also what I think is sand cement render (or possibly browning) from the orginal, lightweight, cinder block.
I had the holes filled in and the walls skimmed but when I tried to tile it pulled off the new skim (which hasn't adhered to the original s/c rener (or browning) and pulled off the s/c (or browning).

I have tried a number of tests with tiles on the various surfaces I now have on the wall since and nothing is working.

I think I am going to have to remove everything back to cinder block and read that spraying the blocks with water then applying thistle hard wall plaster, follwed by a skim of the multi finish might be the best bet, buit am nervous about the level of suction of the blocks, plus the fact that i read if I wet the blocks too much it could crack them when the hard wall dries.

I then read that a sand cement render would be the toughest and would provide a much stronger surface for tiling on to. The tiles I have weigh 16kg per sqm but obviously the adhesive and grout could take it over the recommended 20kg per sqm for plaster.

For information: plaster boading or aqua boarding is not an option as: (a) there isn't enough room - i ony have a 71cm space and the bath is 70cm wide, and (b) the cinder block is quite crumby and can not be screwed in to.

I am in Sheffield.

Thanks
Sarah

Hey Sarah, how thick is the plaster on the blocks ? And is it the full bathroom you are going to tile?

S&c render with waterproofer in it. You could board it with mr boards and just let the bath in.

Status
Not open for further replies.