Hi Everyone

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy2014

Andy here! New to the forum. :RpS_thumbup:
Hope you are all well!
I am basically looking to train for a new career while i am still working fulltime nightshift. (for now:-0?)
I am facing probable redundancy in 18 months -2/3 years time? :RpS_scared: possibly before, as my current engineering industry is in rapid decline and i am preparing now in advance to give me some training and experience.
I am interested in Plastering, tiling and other general building skills needed alongside them as a new career and looking at the goal of self employment rather than work for someone else?
Done that for 25 years? had enough!
Looking forward to chatting with you all and learning more, a quick glance reads great and lots of good banter with good positive and informative comments and replies!
Ironically i have recently done our family tree and discovered 5 generations of plasterers back to the early 1800`s?? plus they were Royal engineers and Royal Marines in France in ww1.
Hope i can live up to the family history!
Thanks all
Andy
:RpS_biggrin:

I too can go back 5 generations of plasterers probably the reason I am grumpy, a bad heeeed as the wife says, with an attitude problem, all those years of sand and lime,jute scrimcloth,laths, plasterboard browning,mixing by hand etc,.... my advice is don't do it go and be a fireman, engineer,teacher, something like that, that plasterers have no problems with, or dare I say it go over to the dark side and become a bbbbbb.. bricklayer there I have said it,all the best andy, remember always a handboard

Welcome along Andy whereabouts in the country are you?. Best of luck and remember mate its a Hawk.

Welcome along bud :RpS_thumbsup: cracking intro and a brilliant use of smilies :RpS_w00t: :RpS_laugh: :RpS_biggrin: :RpS_thumbup:

Hi
Thanks for the comment, i expect many negative ones too and the skilled timeserved guys to say NO:RpS_cursing:, don`t do it!
Its the nature of any industry...
:RpS_confused:But when faced with having to do something else i guess what ever trade or new skills you choose, many will say don`t bother!
I would say the same now to anyone taking up what i do? but think differently after 25 years like i am sure most plasterers do after 25 years!
But you have to give something a go when faced with having to change career!:RpS_scared: Not everyone has the fortune at taking on a trade/skill at 16 that is a job for life and sometimes we are forced to change career.
But i can fully appreciate where everyone is coming from and know nothing is easy!
I have always appreciated plastering as a unique special skill and admire any plasterer and their workmanship!
Thats what appeals to me, knowing it will be hard and challenging but rewarding in the end.
I am currently an engineer and use my hands, i have no interest in an office job or been a driver sitting on my arse getting fat!
But recognise you have to be flexible and employable and be able to do multiple disciplines in the trade and flexible.
I am looking forward to learning more and recieving many different views, positive and negative!
I guess if it was easy? everyone would do it? or are they? :RpS_laugh: or is that plumbing?? :RpS_w00t:
Thanks again.

Welcome along Andy whereabouts in the country are you?. Best of luck and remember mate its a Hawk.

In the NorthWest at the moment but looking to move in the future so looking for a career change that offers opportunities elsewhere you can take with you.
Thanks for the comment!:RpS_thumbup:

Hello Andy,

If you are going to learn a trade like plastering you will have to give it 100 percent to get you ready for when your current job comes to an end. It is hard work physically and a highly skilled trade - they make it look easy! I am learning at the moment and I can tell you that it will take a long time to get you up to a standard that will earn you a living. If you start now you might be ok when crunch time comes. Maybe find a local plasterer that you could work with. A short course might even help to give you a kick start, they are pricey though. Be prepared for some serious graft Andy and when it comes together it can be very satisfying.

"A bit of 'ard work never 'urt nobody"

Good luck.

Hello Andy,

If you are going to learn a trade like plastering you will have to give it 100 percent to get you ready for when your current job comes to an end. It is hard work physically and a highly skilled trade - they make it look easy! I am learning at the moment and I can tell you that it will take a long time to get you up to a standard that will earn you a living. If you start now you might be ok when crunch time comes. Maybe find a local plasterer that you could work with. A short course might even help to give you a kick start, they are pricey though. Be prepared for some serious graft Andy and when it comes together it can be very satisfying.

"A bit of 'ard work never 'urt nobody"

Good luck.
your right,, but im not gonna take a chance,, lol:RpS_laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.