House in Italy

iseevideo

Hey everyone,
I'm new here, so I'm gonna apologise in advance for asking some stupid questions....

About seven years ago, I bought a little brick house in Italy. It was built around the start of the 20th century. Within a year after I bought it, paint and plaster started falling off in certain spots in the interior. These are solid brick walls. I had a local guy patch up those areas with plaster and I repainted, but the problem kept coming back. After a couple of attempts to fix it, I just gave up and have been living with it for several years now. It's not really getting worse, but every once in a while some paint and plaster will fall off in a new spot. I'd really like to get it taken care of once and for all.

The house was extensively renovated in the nineties and that's presumably when non-breathable materials were introduced. And I'm assuming it was given a quick cosmetic renovation shortly before I bought it.

The worst area is in a stairway:

House in Italy

House in Italy

The house is built on a slope. This stairway connects the front door, which is at street level, with the living room, which is also at ground level in the back. There is no basement. The living room has also lost some paint and plaster in places, mostly from down low on the walls, but is nowhere as bad as the stairway. The walls do not feel damp and there has not been any visible mould. The exterior walls (rendered and painted) are in decent shape. The walls in the upstairs rooms have been unaffected.

One local recommended hacking off the plaster from the affected walls to a height of one meter, re-plastering with lime plaster and painting with mineral silicate paints. I'm hoping there's a fix that wouldn't involve so much expense or mess inside the house. Do any of you have any ideas?

Here are a couple more photos of the situation:

House in Italy

House in Italy

House in Italy

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone,
I'm new here, so I'm gonna apologise in advance for asking some stupid questions....

About seven years ago, I bought a little brick house in Italy. It was built around the start of the 20th century. Within a year after I bought it, paint and plaster started falling off in certain spots in the interior. These are solid brick walls. I had a local guy patch up those areas with plaster and I repainted, but the problem kept coming back. After a couple of attempts to fix it, I just gave up and have been living with it for several years now. It's not really getting worse, but every once in a while some paint and plaster will fall off in a new spot. I'd really like to get it taken care of once and for all.

The house was extensively renovated in the nineties and that's presumably when non-breathable materials were introduced. And I'm assuming it was given a quick cosmetic renovation shortly before I bought it.

The worst area is in a stairway:

View attachment 79680
View attachment 79681

The house is built on a slope. This stairway connects the front door, which is at street level, with the living room, which is also at ground level in the back. There is no basement. The living room has also lost some paint and plaster in places, mostly from down low on the walls, but is nowhere as bad as the stairway. The walls do not feel damp and there has not been any visible mould. The exterior walls (rendered and painted) are in decent shape. The walls in the upstairs rooms have been unaffected.

One local recommended hacking off the plaster from the affected walls to a height of one meter, re-plastering with lime plaster and painting with mineral silicate paints. I'm hoping there's a fix that wouldn't involve so much expense or mess inside the house. Do any of you have any ideas?

Here are a couple more photos of the situation:

View attachment 79682

View attachment 79683

View attachment 79684

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Moisture.....
Vent/weep

Then use breathable

In every application

Plaster
Paint etc

So would I need to remove the existing plaster? And if so, would it be enough to remove it to a height of one meter (the affected areas)? Or can I just plaster over them?

Just needs scraped back as much as possible, stabilising primer then filler and paint. For the rest of time possibly, but far better than hacking it all off mate.

Hmmm, conflicting advice. If only there were one clear answer that everyone agreed on. But that's not how this life works, is it?

Your property is in the country with the very best materials on the planet.

And they're really not that expensive as they're sourced and made there.

The buildings there are different from the UK and subject to different weathering and temps.

Take this on board, then read this thread again.

Your property is in the country with the very best materials on the planet.

And they're really not that expensive as they're sourced and made there.

The buildings there are different from the UK and subject to different weathering and temps.

Take this on board, then read this thread again.
Exactly, like giving opinion on eggs when you've never seen one.