How to plaster a chimney breast

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamchop

Hi everyone

With a bit of luck you may be able to help me.

I have just rebuilt a chimney and installed a stove. Currently the outside of the chimney breast is still brick however I want it plastering. I have had various advice and unsure which way to go. Do I use plasterboard and skim over it, or do I need a lime backing and then skim? I have heard that plasterboard cracks? And also it needs to be sealed to prevent air getting between the plasterboard and bricks.

Lastly, is it a good or bad idea to let my husband loose on this as a DIY thing, or should I get the professionals in? And how much should I expect to pay if it was the latter?

Many thanks.

I think you should continue doing it yourself. The other half has let you do all the hard stuff so far so why let him take the glory by doing the finishing off bits? As a matter of fact there is a one day course in Huddersfield that should do the trick for you. Best wishes Steve

you have just rebuilt a chimney ,think of all the expense,time ,effort you have put in, looking ahead this fire place will be the focal point of the room,freinds/relatives will be making comments when it is finished, my only advice is this ,and i am trying to be tactful,considerate etc, BUT DO NOT LET YOUR HUSBAND ANYWHERE NEAR IT, it is not a diy thing as you say you want it right first time, get a reputable plasterer in and take his advice, in the long run it will be better,to often i have picked the phone up only for the lady of the house asking me if i do botched up diy jobs,, so lamchop hide your husbands tools, hide his glasses,be alert through the night as he could be downstairs mixing plaster, if you go down this route i predict an arguement with your husband ,and as the police are taking you to the cells for the night believe me you will be shouting at your husband i should have listened to hector.all the best hector.

yeah thats it steve just get someone else on a quick course to make them think they can plaster, how about we come to yours and take some food out of your mouth and see how you like it.
get in a professional to do the work itll be alot better finish, you dnt want to go down the boards route id go for sand cement and lime with victas plaster finish, if gypsum is subjected to temps of around 50 degrees and above it will fail and boards wnt last a minute at this temp, also on the corners you dnt really want beads as they are subject to expansion and contraction with the temp differences and can blow so youll be looking for some nice free hand corners again a skilled competent plaster will be able to leave you the desired finish.
dnt let the other half do it unless he is the afore mentioned skilled competent plasterer

JRPlastering writes ; yeah thats it steve just get someone else on a quick course to make them think they can plaster, how about we come to yours and take some food out of your mouth and see how you like it.
The first point to make is that this is posted in a DIY advice section. The principle of DIY plastering is thus accepted on this web site. Since all DIY of a plastering nature, as you rightly imply takes food from plasterers table your major gripe is with the web site and not me.
Secondly, personally I saw the posting as a wind-up. The woman claims to have built the chimney herself. Before the feministas line me up for an attack, I readily accept that women can brick-lay if they so chose, in fact my friends mother was a bricklayer (true). I answered the poster’s query in the vein of it being a wind-up.
Third in the wider context. Given that lamchop’s is a serious request my suggestion in no way supports the notion of doing a course and expanding the world of plasterers, increasing competition and thereby lowering the wages of existing tradesmen. My suggestion, if you take it seriously, is for one woman to take the most basic of instruction to deal with one task rather than allow her husband to steal her glory.
Finally supporting DIY in ones own home merits no adverse comment; most of us do aspects of other trades often to a high technical or practical standard: do you challenge your friends when they do this - with stealing the food off the table of chippies, brickies or roofers? I doubt it and bet you do it yourself.

i dnt actually i always sub out any other works so that i can crack on with my job, although yes i can do other works to a high standard my way of thinking is and it works for me, is keep others sweet by giveing them work and they will keep me sweet and give me work in return.:RpS_wink:

i dnt actually i always sub out any other works so that i can crack on with my job, although yes i can do other works to a high standard my way of thinking is and it works for me, is keep others sweet by giveing them work and they will keep me sweet and give me work in return.:RpS_wink:

with you all the way jr fully agree with your comments,and it does work, although i understand and appreciate lamchops comments ,and the fact it is in the diy section,she obviously is unsure and apprehensive about what the job entails, get a plasterer in lamchop ,i know it is more expense but it is peace of mind and the job will be done right,all best hector.

Status
Not open for further replies.