How was this render done?

Members online

No members online now.

Slynam87

Just starting my renovation project on a 1980s house. The front of the house needs to be replastered. The issue is my builder has spoken to his go to plasterer and he does not know how the render was finished. They are saying they believe it is a Terylene plaster.

See pics below:
Screenshot_20190117-234435_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190117-234547_Gallery.jpg

Any ideas how this was done?
It looks like a scratch effect roller or something was used....

Would he have put a nail or few in the plastic float trowel? Wouldn't take 5 to find out by experimenting with an old one on the ground?

its defo alpine finish it was a premix took over from tyrolene for awhile its sand /white cement /small stones to get the finish with / first coat is sand c/ment dragged up with wood float with nails in allow few days to harden then apply alpine to allthe area take wood float and just drag it verticle across wall so it picks up stones in mix to cause the grooves this top coat is a very thin coat hard to apply if u put it on to thick u will not pick up stones /hope that helps /ps it helps if u yoddle when doing it

Agree with cockney, for the price of the materials and labour to do it too I’d look for another finish you like , things have moved on since that was done in 80s

• Agree
Reactions: Djr
As above Weber Alpine finish finished horizontally.

Easy to do if its a flat render and properly primed. Pick a cool day rather than a dry and breezy day. Have someone applying on tight and another finishing behind with a plastic trowel.

• Agree
Reactions: Djr
Thanks everyone for your replies.

To confirm:
This will cost more than a standard finish?
Can this finish be painted? We were planning on painting the house white

We don't have the budget to replaster the whole house - if we change the finish on the front we will have a mismatch - not sure what to do....

Thanks everyone for your replies.

To confirm:
This will cost more than a standard finish?
Can this finish be painted? We were planning on painting the house white

We don't have the budget to replaster the whole house - if we change the finish on the front we will have a mismatch - not sure what to do....
Yes this will cost a lot more than a standard finish. The material is intended to be left unpainted, but can be. I'm afraid there's no cheap fix for this one. Personally I'd prefer a plain faced finish on the front of the property now and have the option to change the rest at a later date.

Couldnt you just have a normal smooth render. Then put the pattern into it with a couple of nails in a plastic trowel or piece of wood. Then paint it so it may be some kind of match to the original stuff?

Who remembers Alpine?
wow,thats brought back memories.I remember putting this on loads of new builds back in the day and laughing all the way to the bank.Its funnys how fads come and go,but even back then I knew it would attract dirt because of the stones leaving grooves,and within a year they started looking dirty,then when people saw it on the new builds they all wanted it on their older houses and there was no dissuading them,and what the customer wanted they got!

wow,thats brought back memories.I remember putting this on loads of new builds back in the day and laughing all the way to the bank.Its funnys how fads come and go,but even back then I knew it would attract dirt because of the stones leaving grooves,and within a year they started looking dirty,then when people saw it on the new builds they all wanted it on their older houses and there was no dissuading them,and what the customer wanted they got!
the backs of coronation st type houses were full of it or tyrolene