Large render crack

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick

Hi, I've recently moved into a house & the garage has a reinforced concrete roof (about 4 inch thick. At the front above the garage door it is flush with the bricks & rendered over with pebble dash. There is a large crack where the brickwork meets the concrete roof (at least 5mm) which has been there for a while & when it rains the water pees in the front of the garage.
I was going to knock the render off, screw some reinforcing mesh across the crack & re render it with fibres in the render. Would this stop it from cracking again?
I spoke to a local builder who said it would only crack again & I'd have to batten it out put the mesh over the battens & then render it & put a concrete coping on the top.
Advice please?

yes do what you said, use stainless steelEML, then make sure you use SBR in the mix as you re-render it

To keep the water out fill the crack. To stop it cracking again figure out why it has cracked. There is always the (remote) possibility that the roof is about to fall on you. A photo would help.

As above it's movement with different substrates and poss could come back unless you used an expansion joint just mastic it mate

Thanks fellas but the dashing's a mess and as we have to have a new garage door I was going to knock it off anyway. The garage was built as an extension I think & the rendering is very poor & boxy in places. The house is fine though & looks good.
The roof just has sheets of felt stuck to it & falls slightly away from the house & towards the front as well so it runs down the render too.
I'll get a picture up when I get home - thanks for all the advice so far.

The whole thing, here's some pictures hopefully

7159161926_17998d4b0b_s.jpg 7159146304_0af1e40dc7_s.jpg 7159179482_cd53f4b0eb_s.jpg

As you can see the render's pretty rough. I guess a lot of that is the rain running off the roof onto it. Would you put a coping on it or what. Any advice greatfully received.

Hack it off have a look at that crack put some coping stones on let it settle for at least a week put an expansion joint up against the coping stones and if there isn't an obvious fault in the substrate where the crack is bed some render mesh metre down from the top if there is eml too

OK cool, sounds like a plan, would you set the coping stones on top of the felt or cut the felt back?

Felt? Isn't the roof concrete?
It is but there's felt stuck to the concrete almost up to the edge;

7159179482_cd53f4b0eb_s.jpg

The felt seems pretty sound, well stuck down (& the roof doesn't leak) Would you bed the copings on top of the felt or cut it back ? Also how much overhang would you leave on the copings.

Also would it help if I replaced the bricks between the roof & the lintel with concrete ones or blocks? Would they then expand & contract more like the concrete roof & help stop the cracking?
Thanks for your help.

Hack the render off and see if there is anything obvious causing the crack. If it's structural I wouldn't bother messing about with EML/mesh/fibres etc. Just batten it out to form a drip and bring the roof felt over it...........just hiding it really, but tidying it up :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.