Lime novices in need of help!

To put it short- you have plastered over yeast. That’s the closest comparison I can do. And to advise someone who hasn’t used lime before to get his hands on quick lime is beyond me. Most likely is still expanding
could have been worse they could have lost thier eye sight they talk about health and safty and allow people with no experience to buy this ticking bomb the mind boggles if u go on utube u will see videos of idiots puttng quick lime in plastic bottles and watching it blow the bottle to bits in front of thier kids

could have been worse they could have lost thier eye sight they talk about health and safty and allow people with no experience to buy this ticking bomb the mind boggles if u go on utube u will see videos of idiots puttng quick lime in plastic bottles and watching it blow the bottle to bits in front of thier kids
That's exactly what we did as kids:sorprendido3::X3::sorprendido3:

I get the point, but we did not have dry quicklime on site. It was premixed with water (slaked?). It was sold as hot lime mortar, but it was never hot. Not sure how old it was. But we still have some bagged and it’s not changed. While I don’t doubt there’s a potential issue with that, that’s not presenting as an issue currently - the areas with the heaviest use are solid and not cracked.

Anyway, don’t feel like we’re getting very far, though thank you for the snippets. It’s clear we need to speak to someone properly about this. Any experts in Yorkshire you can recommend? Or manufacturers we can rely on for good advice? This industry is a minefield.. all I want is my bl

Thank you

I suppose the bagged stuff wouldn’t change cos it can’t absorb more water... but the bags wet inside still anyway..

I get the point, but we did not have dry quicklime on site. It was premixed with water (slaked?). It was sold as hot lime mortar, but it was never hot. Not sure how old it was. But we still have some bagged and it’s not changed. While I don’t doubt there’s a potential issue with that, that’s not presenting as an issue currently - the areas with the heaviest use are solid and not cracked.

Anyway, don’t feel like we’re getting very far, though thank you for the snippets. It’s clear we need to speak to someone properly about this. Any experts in Yorkshire you can recommend? Or manufacturers we can rely on for good advice? This industry is a minefield.. all I want is my bl

Thank you
go into tim ratcliffe lime plastering woth alook

Thank you
As I said before lime is all about prep , care and after care, but that comes with knowledge and experience. It’s not something you can rush nor cut corners, hence not popular among the skimmers or ordinary spreads. The wall in question will need3-4 returns to finish and can’t be expected to be done in 2 days tbh.Hot lime putty can be as much hassle as mature lime putty. Can be used hot or cold , not a problem, quality on the other hand , is a problem. To make their life easier and to guarantee higher % of slaking some are using more water than normaly , which fucks up everything from the beginning, before you even started. I am sure by the time you see the back of this shamble you’ll wish you paid the 3 k. Unfortunately is a bit too far for me to come and see it now, but I am doing my annual ride out in Yorkshire in May and if you haven’t fixed it by then I can come and have a look.