Lime wash

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry

Private Member
Has anyone done any lime washing . Did a cottage last year in lime with the pigment mixed in the gear yourself anyway for me it dried to light it's only when it rains can you see the real colour come to the surface. So was thinking of lime washing it. I have been told it is a fecker to do and messey. Putting a modern paint on top is defeating the objectwhy it was done in lime so it can breath in the first place.

Hi Henry, we have worked extensively around Kent and the surounding counties on numerous listed builidings replacing lime plasters and renders.We offer a lime washing service to customers.. You probably have many questions regarding this and I am happy to talk these through with you.

Cheers Mark
I will be doing this for myself just after some pointers on what to expect with lime wash been told it's like piss to use.

There are many ways to lime wash, traditionally using diluted putty and pigmenting yourself .Neding as many as 7 coats.My advise to you is a far simpler and easier approach if you have very little experience with washing. St Astier do some very handy pre pigmented pots of hydraulic lime wash.You simply choose your colour, take the lid off,mix in clean water as per instructions on side. And wash away. Being hydraulic you do not need to wait for a long peroiod for carbonisation to ocour within the wash before uniformity in tone is acheived.You do not need these washes to pissy either and with find that 4 to 5 coats will be more than is required for a perfect look.We use Mike Wye and Associates in Devon for our supplies.Although there are other suppliers of St Astier within the UK( quick google for your area)..Hope this helps.

Apply with stock brush....thoroughly, lime wash will appear opaque at first ,which will make you want to keep coating up. Just coat on once and move on along or down the wall. After and hour or so, depending on the weather conditions you will see the colour solid up on the wall.Try it and you will see what i mean.

Hi Henry, I have been making my own limewash for years. Purchase some lime putty (Mike Wye & Associates is a good starting place), decant some into a bucket and add water until the mixture is somewhere between milk and single cream. Damp down the wall before applying any limewash before each coat. 3 or 4 coats should be sufficient. If white is your thing then you'll find modern lime putty limewash very bright in full sun. If you want to add a pigment make sure you mix up enough to do the whole job, or else the colour matching will be almost impossible.

Do you know what I dont understand is this last year did a front in thermocromax render pigment colour mixed in the water , When it is dry it is more a beige colour when it rains it goes the colour I did it in cream. I did want to paint again in beige colour limewash but wonder why when wet it changes colour back to cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.