lime

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a right mare with lime recently. following a spec i was given 5-1-1 no admixtures just wouldnt work just wet heavy s**t.

5-1-1 with waterproofer wet heavy s**t.

I dont know where I am going wrong as I remember years ago using lime and it was the best gear ever .... where am i going wrong

Might be the sand Rich or your not leaving it in the mixer long enough i t needs about 10 minutes mixing with that kind of mix to get the air in it not the same as using admix where if you mix it to long it turns to fluff.
Lucius.

it sounds like you are using hydrated lime so it is probably the sand you are using... have you tried NHL (Hydraulic Lime)

Years ago it was common practice (well in ireland anyway) to dry mix the sand and lime together
and leave it for a few days to "sour" before mixing with cement and water. Time consuming but lovely
gear to use if that helps

You can premix the hydrated lime and sand and water put it in tubs and cover with plastic for a couple of days then add the cement and mix again like you say makes a great bit of gear.
Lucius

kirk johnstone said:
why dont we use lime plastering anymore? dont realy know much about it but if you guys enlighten me i would be very grateful ;)

The cost is well over ten times what gypsum costs, labour wise, and it takes far longer too.

People want cheap and fast................ like my misses ;D

we were using silver sand as per spec, we tried all sorts to sort it out even lefr it in the mixer over lunch but it was just dead horrible gear. pour it into a barrow and in 5 minutes the sand/water had completely seperated.

this has happend a few times to me recently when i have used lime ?

It just needs a dash of plasticiser Rich, as long as your labourer doesn't go mad it will give a nice bit of gear and no one need know it's in there. I use a 6:1:1 mix a lot but wouldn't fancy it without a bit of DH Feb in and I've never had any sort of problem using such.

well I was tempted andy but in the end i ditched the lime and used a 5-1 with freeflow then all of a sudden my life changed!

yeah hydrated lime.

I have had loads of trouble with it recently just cant get anything like a good mix out of it just ends up like pastry even after adding buckets of water to it then when its poured out the water and sand just seperate.

Why would the spec require silver sand to be used rich, that must be a nightmare to push up the walls ???

richardbrown said:
well I was tempted andy but in the end i ditched the lime and used a 5-1 with freeflow then all of a sudden my life changed!

Good move Rich 8) The sand I use for my panelled renders is pretty fine but if you get the mix right is loverly to use, it definately works better with the fibres in though.

Status
Not open for further replies.