1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

LW1 render advice needed!

Discussion in 'External Wall Insulation - EWI - External Wall Ins' started by Oxford, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Oxford

Oxford Member

Evening fellow plasterer' s,

I am looking for product advise for using LW1 render onto a 100 insulation.

I have done plenty of K1 work onto block work before but I haven't ever worked onto insulation board. I was hoping some of you might be able to shed some light on the materials behavier?

Thanks for you help.

2. JVplastering

JVplastering Member

I have been spec-ed LW1 onto 50mm mineral board. Starting next week.
    I’ll let you know how it goes. Hoping this time of year it’ll be scratch next day. But unsure what the suction will be like off insulation board??

3. Oxford

Oxford Member

I'm also starting my job next week!
    Are you working to 12mm beads, and doing a two pass system with mesh? I am also planning a next day scratch, but I am a bit concerned about how the insulation with pull the gear in eeeekkk! Lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. JVplastering

JVplastering Member

Yeah that’s the plan! 12mm beads.
    Spay 6-8mm, mesh, then another pass. Scratch next day hopefully!
    It’s on a fire station so walls only 2.5m high. So way on to start. You using the Rockwool mineral board?

5. Oxford

Oxford Member

I was also working onto mineral board. How did you find it went on? I was hand applying, and I found it hard work and unpredictable.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tyzak

tyzak Member

I am laying some on tomorrow, I will give my feedback over the weekend

7. Oxford

Oxford Member

It will good to hear what you think of the material. I'll be finishing my job this week. The builder maid it a nightmare for me as he stuck the beads up, and he used 10mm beads!!! It maid life hard.

8. tyzak

tyzak Member

K Rend LW1 .
    Small area 5m2. Applied over EPS.
    Temperature 6c
    Materials mixed well and consistent and very light.
    Allowed material to set for 5 minutes and remixed for 5 mins.
    Laid on 6mm and used 4 foot serrated Darby .
    Laid in a scrim.
    Allowed first pass to pick up (maybe 1hour).
    Applied 2nd pass 3mm over 10mm beads Beads were laid onto 2/3mm of LW1 .total thickness 15/16mm
    Scratched off at 10.30am next morning .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oxford

Oxford Member

Thanks for your review on the LW1, and by the sounds of it you uses it to great success!?

I do believe it's not a bad product, but the circumstances in which I was using it, and my lack of experience of using bagged renders made it hard work! If I am to use it again I'll use 15mm beads, first pass at 6mm then bed mesh, and then do another pass at 11mm, I think this will make life easier?

10. tyzak

tyzak Member

Good thing is , is that you already have a method in your mind .
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dansouthcoast84

Dansouthcoast84 Private Member

arent you meant to use a basecoat on this rather than just a 2 pass with mesh?

12. tyzak

tyzak Member

No mate , straight onto insulation or masonry

13. Dansouthcoast84

Dansouthcoast84 Private Member

hmm. not sure how i feel about that... no basecoat..
    i even basecoat new blockwork

14. Oxford

Oxford Member

I would have liked to have worked on to a base coat, but Krend specified that I just do a two pass system with mesh. I personally believe renders perform better on a scratch coat!

• Agree Agree x 1