Microcement

Members online

john c

Anybody know much about microcement?
Was planning on doing the floors of my house with it but went to see a shop that had the floor done and it was full of trowel marks
Is that the way it is or was it just done badly or maybe that's the way the shop owner wanted it done?
I thought it would have been more like a bronze finish polished floor

I would look at doing a course before attempting to do it yourself mate or get some product and try a small area.Whats the area on floors you looking at doing?As for trowel marks it really depends on finish somebody wants however if it's circular trowel marks I would say it's a rough job but that's my opinion and without seeing it hard to say.Its more knowing the product with this stuff.

I have no idea about microcement is it something that is going to take off big time? Worth getting into would like to have a go if it's worth pursuing?

I get a fair bit and alot on at the minute.I think it more depends on clientele base,I get alot of high end Jobs for internals so work it in that way also with arcitects and interior deisgners etc.

I wasn't going to attempt it myself but wouldn't mind doing the course all the same, not sure if anyone does the course in Ireland though
Was just a bit disappointed with the floor I went to see when I saw it up close, it still felt nice and smooth to touch but this one had loads of trowel marks in it so was kind of putting me off going with it but I will try to get to see other jobs so

Just sent you a pm mate.Feel free to message me should you want any further info.

I don't think that it's going to take off any more than it has already. There is a place on the market for micro and it's just another option of which more products are becoming available. Tho k it's just a customer's choice as to whether they choose micro, resin, polished Crete, tiles etc. As for trowel marks, that's should be down to customer choice but can be down to poor installation if they aren't wanted. Applicators are the same with micro as in any line of work. There are good one and bad. Some put in more effort than others and some just chase the money as it's a lucrative business. Personally I do like trowel lines in a finish. They give it detail and make it look a bit different. As mentioned the curve lines from a trowel do not help the finish at all. Especially when you can see a repetitiveness on a surface and it gets worse still when working from an inside edge and you can see the applicator only has one movement in their trowel action.
Micro has some great selling points. It's waterproof for one so wetrooms can be done in it. It's very hard wearing. So compared to a resin floor it won't scratch. Then depending on the manufacturer a really good Micro cement will be uv stable. So it won't discolour in sunlight over time. Resin is essentially made up from plastic. So naturally isn't uv stable and a resin floor will always fade in sunlight over time. I'm renovating our house at the minute and I'm a way off finishes but will be putting micro in the wet room and my girlfriend loves the penny resin floor so she will be doing this in the downstairs loo. Will bang pics up as we go in due time.
You could do with going looking at different floors and surfaces to see how different applications are done rather than basing it from one floor. There are tonnes of pics online to look at
Hope some of this has helped.