MULTIFINISH LETS DO OUR BIT

Members online

essexandy

The Lake Governor
Ok this afternoon I had a very (1:18) long phone call with a guy from BG. I felt that it was a very good two sided conversation with someone that both understands our trade and wants to help get Multifinish to a point where I'm (we're) happy with it.
I'm not going to go into all the ins and outs of our conversation but, as an overview; he asked me to let him know any and all the issues I felt there were with the product, which I did. There wasn't so much as a hint of a verbal sneer or rubbishing of my opinion. He genuinely seems to want to help and this is where we all come in.
He says that he has asked quite a few spreads that have complained about Multi on the interweb to explain what problems they're having with it and that the two recurring answers are;
a; it's s**t or
b; it's f**k**g s**t
neither of these answers are going to help solve this obvious issue.

So here's what he has asked both me and the rest of you to do.

Each and every time you have, what you consider to be a duff bag, batch or pallet please put a bag or part bag into something like a dustbin bag, basically something that will prevent moisture getting at the plaster.
Return this to the merchant where you bought it, tell them that there's a problem with it and that BG WANT to be made aware of it.
Write on a piece of paper your details and the issues/problems that you're having e.g. 'it's shrinking back from beads/ frames, it's trowelling up all streaky or it's just plain gummy. You decide what you want to say just as long as it isn't, 'it's shite' or 'it's f**k**g shite', those replies just won't help.

Please, please do the above and at least try to help improve things.

I'll be honest, I feel cross and like I've really got the bit between my teeth with this and want to help get things sorted, even if I have to keep on and on at BG to make a difference.

@BritishGypsum @Danny @everycaringbastardoutthere

Fair play Andy, when I complained about the quality of the plasterboard I had a similar discussion. They advised me to record the batch numbers of poor board and notify themselves and the merchant

The issue is nationwide but if I get a bag or two I feel doesn’t feel right I will do that but feel will be a pointless exercise,when the mix is going off in bucket and water separates you know your in for a hard few hours to achieve a finish,I’ve had gear that in two trowels worth has really picked up then next two strokes it’s soaking wet goes more greasy now as well I used to be a 3 trowel merchant and was always good now I know 3 trowels and I ain’t happy with it, the drying out issue I got over 2 years ago but it proper put me on a downer for a while I don’t get how looks perfect once done but when dry looks crap and can’t wait for a miss coat to be put on it we might be not the brightest people on the planet but most of us have pride in our work and when we get problems we get self doubt but it’s nice in a way to know I ain’t alone in getting the crap

Fair play Andy, when I complained about the quality of the plasterboard I had a similar discussion. They advised me to record the batch numbers of poor board and notify themselves and the merchant
Was it you mate who a while back posted about cutting boards? I thought it was me but when I see that post it gave me hope it wasn’t just me they don’t snap right after a score but knauf boards do

Was it you mate who a while back posted about cutting boards? I thought it was me but when I see that post it gave me hope it wasn’t just me they don’t snap right after a score but knauf boards do

I started a thread a while back, they were nearly impossible to cut straight

The issue is nationwide but if I get a bag or two I feel doesn’t feel right I will do that but feel will be a pointless exercise,when the mix is going off in bucket and water separates you know your in for a hard few hours to achieve a finish,I’ve had gear that in two trowels worth has really picked up then next two strokes it’s soaking wet goes more greasy now as well I used to be a 3 trowel merchant and was always good now I know 3 trowels and I ain’t happy with it, the drying out issue I got over 2 years ago but it proper put me on a downer for a while I don’t get how looks perfect once done but when dry looks crap and can’t wait for a miss coat to be put on it we might be not the brightest people on the planet but most of us have pride in our work and when we get problems we get self doubt but it’s nice in a way to know I ain’t alone in getting the crap
Right there you go, you've just written down both the fact that the water separated out of it and then how it worked, this is exactly the sort of thing that needs to get to the right people.
I feel like first contact has now been made and we can try to help. If we don't then how can we keep moaning?
For now I think there are only two important threads on the forum, this one and @Olican 's charity efforts.

Right there you go, you've just written down both the fact that the water separated out of it and then how it worked, this is exactly the sort of thing that needs to get to the right people.
I feel like first contact has now been made and we can try to help. If we don't then how can we keep moaning?
For now I think there are only two important threads on the forum, this one and @Olican 's charity efforts.

And Bucket cleaners birthday

My merchant would probably laugh at me giving them back a bag or part bag of finish with a note. Would land in the skip if you ask me.
Same with BG boards, when you cut it, it feels like you cutting stale bread, it won't snap but it will gladly crumble apart.
Or there's Scotties board issue when BG visited him, he got told to put on less ffs. Utter joke, I don't even know why people have hopes that any change will occur or get an acceptable explanation.
I just treat it like joiners treat timber, not 2 piece of wood is the same nor as multi or board finish.
Bg's finishing plaster is the cheapest out there - in the whole of Europe - , what would you expect for a fiver a bag, it's like shopping in poundland but expecting M&S quality.

Why cant they just change the way they make it back by about 5 years? Job solved.
Yeah agree although think problems started a bit before that it’s obvious something has changed in way its made but we never get a straight answer

My merchant would probably laugh at me giving them back a bag or part bag of finish with a note. Would land in the skip if you ask me.
Same with BG boards, when you cut it, it feels like you cutting stale bread, it won't snap but it will gladly crumble apart.
Or there's Scotties board issue when BG visited him, he got told to put on less ffs. Utter joke, I don't even know why people have hopes that any change will occur or get an acceptable explanation.
I just treat it like joiners treat timber, not 2 piece of wood is the same nor as multi or board finish.
Bg's finishing plaster is the cheapest out there - in the whole of Europe - , what would you expect for a fiver a bag, it's like shopping in poundland but expecting M&S quality.
For me knauf boards still cut and snap nicely

But the thing is it was alright years ago and now too random

They were About as much help as a kick in the b*ll***s when their defective boards were trying to kill me i should of just phoned 999 and had em charged with assault.

I don't know how much of a factor storage plays in all of this, when it's been discussed in the past it's often mentioned. I suggested once that through the winter they throw a large insulated sheet over the bags at night or even a square fitted cover to fit over a palette, don't know if that would do anything

Yeah it did start before that thinking about it.
When I was doing schools houses and hospitals before recession it was 3 trowels and onto next hit now 3 trowels and your like wtf that needs at least another one

When I was doing schools houses and hospitals before recession it was 3 trowels and onto next hit now 3 trowels and your like wtf that needs at least another one
And back then I could have done it with my eyes shut. Not now.

Would it be good idea to post pictures on this thread @essexandy that peeps feel has been “good” or “bad” skimmed walls /ceilings etc with what they thought was good or bad ?

And back then I could have done it with my eyes shut. Not now.
It’s like you think your going mad I ditched the plazi all the flex trowels and now go all way through with my ss Marshall town and still have days where I think I ain’t happy with it to me we have people on here with anything from 1-40 years experience all over the country and getting same problems so maybe we ain’t as mad as we think

Yeah the fact that our note would be filed in the bin was my first response. I'll check on the correct email address tomorrow because the guy that I spoke to said that if the merchants don't pass the information on to BG they'll want to know and then 'deal' with the merchants. If you were to go back to the merchants and then didn't hear anything back within, say, a month, just fire an email to BG saying which merchant had ignored your complaint.
I know that none of us has a lot of confidence in this getting sorted, but lets at least give it a go.

For me knauf boards still cut and snap nicely
I used some siniat boards recently, they were made abroad, was bang on, square edge boards, the squares nice and sharp, enough scoring it once then slit the back like 4" then you can snap it like a KitKat

@BritishGypsum won’t do nothing with a forum moaning at them there thousands of spreads out there smashing meters out not giving a s**t what the gears like as long as they get there days dough. I also think multi has been bad for a while it’s like troweling up wet sand just have to deal with it.

I used some siniat boards recently, they were made abroad, was bang on, square edge boards, the squares nice and sharp, enough scoring it once then slit the back like 4" then you can snap it like a KitKat
Measure twice cut once but now you Defo need a surf form on a bg board I try to go Vauxhall Travis as they got knauf in stock bg boards are crap and make things harder

I don’t think storage at merchants is an issue because I’m sure it’s always been stored the same way well at least for 18 years I been in game

Dunno Andy, did you not see my one about who was awake and who was asleep?

I find at times when you have to put it on thicker it just doesn’t want to know, and you can’t bond or always have bonding in the van. Some walls need more attention than my newborn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Measure twice cut once but now you Defo need a surf form on a bg board I try to go Vauxhall Travis as they got knauf in stock bg boards are crap and make things harder
I stopped using bg boards couple years back the boards are awful to cut but may be because they recycle them?