MY FIRST ATTEMPT (LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK)

Paint it mate that will highlight the faults, multi and board finish is hit and miss these days, you won't see many posting fully dried areas as the discoloration of the gear can be misleading even though it's fine when painted

Yea I should do that thanks for the advice. Do you know if I'm able to plaster over the same wall if I paint? I'm going to run out of walls soon enough.

Only ever heard them called cat faces don't know if it's northern or not.

It's a fine first attempt. College taught me to go straight over with second coat so don't know if they're teaching you that way but it's s**t.

Get your first coat nice and flat and then smooth it. New mix for second coat bit thinner, lay on and smooth. Leave it alone! Then trowel it.

You can only pick up timings as you go to avoid tiger stripes etc. Always watch your edges, nice clean lines

So timings are what make a good wall without tiger stripes and cat faces? What kind of timings are we talking about? This really helps!

Second coat could do with slightly more on. Get a feel for how much is on your trowel and how far it goes, you’ll get a more even coat then. When troweling give it more pressure and less edge. Most importantly don’t f**k about with it, get it on, clean off get the lines out. Mix up half what you mixed first coat. Pva it and go again, post the pics up. Keep plugging away, you’ll get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should one stroke do half a stretch of the wall (in the case of my wall in the pic)? I did the top half left to right and then bottom half left to right.

What did you think Jack?
If you can pick the faults yourself then you're on the right path. My first wall was an embarrasing mess (a cheese-on-toaster) but fortunately I did all my practise on my own house.
Standard beginning mistakes are to spend too much time trying to get a glass finish as you go. Slap it on, smooth it. Look for it firming up and get second on.

Jess had a good idea to try it half-pi55ed. You'll relax and will probably make a better job. Doesn't go down too well with clients though (not THAT wall you w@nker!), so only when practising :)
Practise lots and see if you can get in with an experienced plasterer to grab some tips. I pull guys in to help with big jobs and pretty much always manage to find a better way to do something.

Good luck

At first it was a disaster. Couldn't control the spread at all and it was going everywhere. But then I managed to control it enough to cover the wall. Even mixing the plaster was a nightmare. Trying to figure out the right consistency and how to control it on the hawk.

I was quite surprised how it actually turned out and was really pleased. It seems that the flattening stage for both coats really helps cover any mistakes, at least initially before it dries. It looked flat and smooth, something I didn't really expect.

But when it dried I was able to identify the dry bits (cat faces?) more easily (small parts lighter in colour and more crumbly) and the tiger stripes. But it's more identifying what these outcomes actually mean, and what to do to prevent them.

It seems timing is something I need to get better on. Since my technique is still really primitive at the moment. I hope that when my technique starts to improve then I can think about timings a little more.

I'm looking into someone in Glasgow I can get in touch with.

Thanks for your feedback!

Fair play for the guts to put it up.It’s not great,terrible to be honest.If your serious about wanting to improve try and get in with someone local to you that’s experienced and has a good reputation.You will improve rapidly.

Really appreciate the feedback. Was prepared to be told how bad it is!

Yeah when you start plaster is some weird unknown quantity with a mind of its own.

I remember one point dead frustrated feeling like I'd been whizzing it and then suddenly not getting better. Tutors used to let me come in on our Friday off and join the apprentice lads. I had a couple pints with them at lunch and was loads better, beer relaxed me and I stopped over thinking!

Lesson: beer makes you easy! :ROFLMAO:

Best advice I've had yet. Cheers!

Very brave. Humble. Well done. Welcome.
Know first what you want to achieve.
Put on a coat trying to get an even thickness all over the wall. Use the coverage needed to make any skrim disappear as your thickness gauge.
Clean up. Everywhere. Don’t rush. The time spent cleaning will do two things, first it is good practise, second it will allow your skim to “pick up”. Flatten the first coat.
Put a second coat on, no thicker than the first.
Do the cleaning again. Tidy your workspace. Wash off plaster from places it shouldn’t be.
Flatten in. Rest.
Trowel it up, use a dash of water if you need to lubricate the trowel.
Rest, tidy, get ready to feel smug.
As the plaster “turns” trowel once more.
All the above assumes you have filled all misses, and flattened all ridges whilst the plaster was wet.
Good luck, keep trying, keep learning.

Are the cat's faces the small whiter bits on the wall? I think someone told me they are dry bits? Same thing?
The cat faces or misses to us southerners are where your trowel goes over the wall and misses a little bit, they tend to show up more when the mist coat of paint goes on. You won’t get them as time goes on unless you get a bit slap dash. Good luck with it and beware the demon light shining on your wall from a different angle to what it was when you plastered the wall it shows any imperfection and I mean any.

The cat faces or misses to us southerners are where your trowel goes over the wall and misses a little bit, they tend to show up more when the mist coat of paint goes on. You won’t get them as time goes on unless you get a bit slap dash. Good luck with it and beware the demon light shining on your wall from a different angle to what it was when you plastered the wall it shows any imperfection and I mean any.
Iv always known them as cats eyes for some reason I’m a Surrey swinger tho

1_Mastering%20Plastering%20-%20Studio%20(Web%20Sized)-2.jpg

Learning via Mastering Plastering video tutorials.

Based in Glasgow.

Looking for critical feedback.
its a b*ll***s up man, cos the floor is a mess, up ya game.

1 when flattening keep trowel as flat as poss
2 dont overload handboard and floor wont get done for free

3 wtf are cat faces .........f**k**g weird mancs lol

1 when flattening keep trowel as flat as poss
2 dont overload handboard and floor wont get done for free

3 wtf are cat faces .........f**k**g weird mancs lol
Bit of trivia for you - it seems cat face is a texture.

textures-combi2.jpg