My plasterer slimmed lath and plaster wall...

Members online

No members online now.

Bustercrabb

Hi guys, hoping for some advice if you’d be so kind....

I’m currently refurbishing a terraced Victorian house a couple of rooms at a time. I’m doing 2 bedrooms first. I’ve had a plasterer in to skim the walls and he seems to have done a good job in general, but when I removed the skirting etc from one of the internal walls I discovered it’s old lath and plaster with quite a lot of movement. I wish I’d insisted that we overboard it but my plasterer convinced me it would be ok to skim as is. I kind of got the impression he couldn’t be bothered with any extra hassle though.

I’m fitting new skirting, door frame, architrave, carpet etc - so if it does need to be overboarded now is the time. And we’re probably going to stay in this house forever so I want to do things right. On the other hand I’ve got a 3 year old sleeping in dining room, pregnant wife sleeping in a single bed in the box room and I’m sleeping in the basement while we finish these rooms, so overboarding a newly skimmed wall and delaying getting everyone back into their bedrooms is the last thing I want to do if the skim on the lath and plaster is likely to hold up ok!

Would really appreciate your advice/opinions on what I should do!

I’m currently refurbishing a terraced Victorian house a couple of rooms at a time. I’m doing 2 bedrooms first. I’ve had a plasterer in to skim the walls and he seems to have done a good job in general, but when I removed the skirting etc from one of the internal walls I discovered it’s old lath and plaster with quite a lot of movement. I wish I’d insisted that we overboard it but my plasterer convinced me it would be ok to skim as is. I kind of got the impression he couldn’t be bothered with any extra hassle though.

I’m fitting new skirting, door frame, architrave, carpet etc - so if it does need to be overboarded now is the time. And we’re probably going to stay in this house forever so I want to do things right. On the other hand I’ve got a 3 year old sleeping in dining room, pregnant wife sleeping in a single bed in the box room and I’m sleeping in the basement while we finish these rooms, so overboarding a newly skimmed wall and delaying getting everyone back into their bedrooms is the last thing I want to do if the skim on the lath and plaster is likely to hold up ok!

You can overboard it if it’s blown/spongey, but if staying in the house, then strip it back to the studwork and simply just plaster board it. More work and mess, but removes certain complications with regards to sockets and light switches etc, and it also gives you the option of adding some acoustic insulation like rock wool.
If you overboard as is, then you’ll need to plant some timber on the door lining to take into account the thickness of PB.
The choice is yours. You have the time it takes for the board to revolve.

Sounds like a clusterfuck, ripping out 2nd fix after you've skimmed.

Forget that you've skimmed that wall and start again. It's only a couple of hours work.

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. To be clear the new skirting, architrave etc is not on yet.

Sounds like I should take it off and start again. Out of interest, if I left it, what problems am I going to get? Cracks?

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. To be clear the new skirting, architrave etc is not on yet.

Sounds like I should take it off and start again. Out of interest, if I left it, what problems am I going to get? Cracks?
Honestly mate I’ve skimmed over lath and plaster loads of times, with the current sleeping arrangements in your home I wouldn’t be wasting my time with this. If you get any cracks in future just deal with it when(if) it happens.

Honestly mate I’ve skimmed over lath and plaster loads of times, with the current sleeping arrangements in your home I wouldn’t be wasting my time with this. If you get any cracks in future just deal with it when(if) it happens.
Thanks Stuart

Bad advice

Leave this room as it is , nothing but a few cracks is worse case scenario, but do as advised in other rooms and strip back, , ur still be able to insulate it from the other side once uve stripped back, then maybe in a few years time if ur not happy with this room , then strip this one back , at least this way ur get back to some normal a bit lively

Knock down the partition wall and save a bit of time