Need advice.

Members online

If the rooms being tiled floor to ceiling then dot and dab and tile it. If it's being painted dot and dab, skim and paint it.
How have you been plastering 4 years?
Thanks for the reply, I just wasn’t sure if I should of been doing something to prevent damp like I said in the post because I’d be removing the render and didn’t know if it had a waterproofer in. I worked for a render/plaster for 2 and a half years he was more rendering then I went to work with a building company and still am (just over 2 years) and am mainly with the plasterers to learn plastering. Like I said in the post they just done things and didn’t really explain to me. I’ve never said I was a plasterer or know everything about it, I can skim confidently it’s just other parts id rather check on. Thanks again for your reply!

Hi guys I’m fairly new to plastering I’ve always worked with other people who have been on sites for 20+ years and know the ins and outs so I’ve never really had to think for myself. I’ve always asked questions but never really get an explanation because they’ve found it easier to just do it if there’s something I’m not sure on. I’ve been involved with rendering and plastering for 4 years now. Anyway I need advice on a couple of things. I’m doing a private job for a family friend and they want render knocked off a couple of walls with the tiles and want it boarded. What board should I use? Normal 12.5mm or insulated? One of the walls that need boarding is on an external wall so do I need to do anything damp proofing wise or will board just be ok? There isn’t any damp but I don’t know if the render has any waterproofer in and obviously I’m taking that off. Like I said I’ve always been told what board to use on what walls on site so I’ve never really learnt it for myself as much as I try.
Should I just put a layer of sand and cement with waterproofer in up to 1.1m just to make sure then Dot & Dab on top or am I overthinking it? Any advice would be really helpful, cheers guys.

If the external wall has no or dubious insulation, then stick an insulation board on. The rest, just dab on PB and make sure its as flat as fook. No need to skim if tiling, or just part skim up to where tiling starts stops.
Ceiling looks manky, so you might want to do something with that as it'll spoil the job if left.
If there are any particularly wet areas like a shower cubicle, then use hardiebacker or equivalent or at least tank the PB, but if you're not tiling then its not really up to you.

Ffs just be honest you've been on a 1 week course and are now winging it with a paying customer never read such bollox in my life!
How about read the post, read the reply’s and believe people rather than thinking you know everyone and trying to put people down who come on here for advice. Like I said I never made out I was a plasterer I’ve been involved for 4 years and can skim confidently it’s just the other things I’d rather check on! (y)

If the external wall has no or dubious insulation, then stick an insulation board on. The rest, just dab on PB and make sure its as flat as fook. No need to skim if tiling, or just part skim up to where tiling starts stops.
Ceiling looks manky, so you might want to do something with that as it'll spoil the job if left.
If there are any particularly wet areas like a shower cubicle, then use hardiebacker or equivalent or at least tank the PB, but if you're not tiling then its not really up to you.
Cheers thank you very much!! Don’t worry the ceiling is getting ripped down and new board going up! Cheers for your help!!

Cheers thank you very much!! Don’t worry the ceiling is getting ripped down and new board going up! Cheers for your help!!
If the bathroom is in a single storey extension, then make sure theres plenty of insulation in the ceiling.
You want the boarding flat and internal corners square, especially where the bath is going.