NELA Black Edition

Has nobody else bought a Marshalltown one yet?

I have one ;-):estudioso::estudioso:

Hahaha... well, aside from some very slight variations in blade shape, I think I'm right in saying the Marshalltown spat is 99% identical to the L'outil Parfait/Refina/BeroXpert/Storch/Prep/Scandipaint/etc./etc./etc./etc./etc....

Here's one example, of many, I could post:

It's really laughable how many companies have badge-slapped this L'outil Parfait spat (and its cheaper roll-grip stablemate). As far as I can tell, none of them seem to sell spare blades for it, direct to the public (if anyone knows different, I'm all-ears!).

So... pretty much anyone who owns a Refina Ergo-grip spat automatically 'owns' a Marshalltown spat, without having to buy one.

Up to this point in time, I'm under the impression that only 2 brands (Ox and Nela) are each offering spats that haven't (as far as I know) been cloned under different brand names.

Is the Nela Black spat built from aluminium or plastic? Looks like aluminium, from the pics...

i
Hahaha... well, aside from some very slight variations in blade shape, I think I'm right in saying the Marshalltown spat is 99% identical to the L'outil Parfait/Refina/BeroXpert/Storch/Prep/Scandipaint/etc./etc./etc./etc./etc....

It's really laughable how many companies have badge-slapped this L'outil Parfait spat (and its cheaper roll-grip stablemate). As far as I can tell, none of them seem to sell spare blades for it, direct to the public (if anyone knows different, I'm all-ears!).

So... pretty much anyone who owns a Refina Ergo-grip spat automatically 'owns' a Marshalltown spat, without having to buy one.

Up to this point in time, I'm under the impression that only 2 brands (Ox and Nela) are each offering spats that haven't (as far as I know) been cloned under different brand names.

Is the Nela Black spat built from aluminium or plastic? Looks like aluminium, from the pics...

Im pissed

you seem slightly obsessed over these spats. Are you a seller/manufacturer yourself?

You're very knowledgeable on brands and manufacturers, would go as far as saying you are one or a stockist ;-)

NELA EDGE is Aluminium

You are correct about the copies, its the same for the FLEX trowels....

Now no one has mentioned that Speedskim does move forward and backwards slightly and left and right in there casing handle while being used thus they are different to all the rest

Morning All,

As many of you have already seen, we are pleased to announce that NELA has now introduced the Black Edition to the market

Some have said its a gimmick, or a marketing ploy and its simply just a black handle. No doubt there has been some great marketing in this, however, there are some key fundamental differences with the new trowel that has been launched, not just a pretty handle.

After several months of testing various trowels, dimensions and widths, we have launched the new Black Edition FLEX, they key differences to note are;

NELAFLEX MKII Gold Edition has a 0.3mm blade with a width of 4.3"
NELA MediFLEX has a 0.4mm blade and a width of 4.9"

With the new Black Edition, it has a 0.4mm blade with a total width of 4.72"

The differences may seem small on paper, but it totally changes the performance of the trowel. This new version has all the benefits of a FLEX yet has more rigidity. Alongside these differences the quality of Steel is higher, increasing the price slightly, but creating a more robust and durable trowel which should not wear down as fast as previous models

View attachment 42735

Also coming into the range is the new NELA EDGE, the new design of the spatula allows for various blades to be used, both Metal and Plastic, with various thicknesses to suit the application.
With interchangeable blades, a high quality support arm, this really is a fantastic product which has been priced very well.

All prices can be found on our website: www.plasterers1stopshop.co.uk - the new NELA EDGE is due to arrive before Christmas, the trowel is in stock!
View attachment 42736

Can this trowel be used from flattening to final dry trowel?

you seem slightly obsessed over these spats. Are you a seller/manufacturer yourself?

You're very knowledgeable on brands and manufacturers, would go as far as saying you are one or a stockist ;-)

NELA EDGE is Aluminium

You are correct about the copies, its the same for the FLEX trowels....

No, no, I'm neither a manufacturer nor a stockist - that much should be easy to logically deduce from the fact that I've been critical of much of what currently exists on the marketplace.

The only reason I have a bit of knowledge about what's out there on the marketplace is precisely because I've been so cheesed-off at how many shortcomings there are for spreads in need of a decent steel spat that they can buy knowing it functions nicely and can be kept functional without unnecessary hassle or excessive ongoing expense. I believe spreads have been getting a raw deal with steel spats, for too long - hence my interest in a newcomer (the Nela) which might improve the situation by offering good ergonomics, readily-available replaceable blades, a wide number of stockists, and above-average quality.

Sorry if I came across to any of you as being a nerd or someone with a hidden agenda. When faced with an unsatisfactory situation, some folks will grudgingly accept the status quo, and some (like me) will make an effort to research alternatives. Being completely honest, I'll probably continue to use my blue plastic Speedskim ST, and as far as steel spats go, I've arrived at the conclusion that it'll be a toss-up between the Nela or the Storch Alustar (which is 90% similar to the Level 5/DeWalt, with a slightly different aluminium extrusion, but with readily-available spare blades - the only downside being that I'd have to order it from Europe). The Tyzack (also available badged as 'Kubala' in Europe) would be an acceptable 3rd choice.

The L'outil Parfait and Tyzack/Kubala spats are an extruded plastic handle, which some people view as a positive, as they don't draw heat out of the user's fingers during winter use. Personally, I prefer the peace of mind of an extruded aluminium handle, as it may be less likely to distort over the longterm, or if accidentally left on a dashboard or window sill during the summer.

Hopefully, you can now see that, in spite of my challenging questions about the Nela spat, I am actually a genuine potential customer!

Now no one has mentioned that Speedskim does move forward and backwards slightly and left and right in there casing handle while being used thus they are different to all the rest

Phewwww..........thought mine was f**k*d.

No, no, I'm neither a manufacturer nor a stockist - that much should be easy to logically deduce from the fact that I've been critical of much of what currently exists on the marketplace.

The only reason I have a bit of knowledge about what's out there on the marketplace is precisely because I've been so cheesed-off at how many shortcomings there are for spreads in need of a decent steel spat that they can buy knowing it functions nicely and can be kept functional without unnecessary hassle or excessive ongoing expense. I believe spreads have been getting a raw deal with steel spats, for too long - hence my interest in a newcomer (the Nela) which might improve the situation by offering good ergonomics, readily-available replaceable blades, a wide number of stockists, and above-average quality.

Sorry if I came across to any of you as being a nerd or someone with a hidden agenda. When faced with an unsatisfactory situation, some folks will grudgingly accept the status quo, and some (like me) will make an effort to research alternatives. Being completely honest, I'll probably continue to use my blue plastic Speedskim ST, and as far as steel spats go, I've arrived at the conclusion that it'll be a toss-up between the Nela or the Storch Alustar (which is 90% similar to the Level 5/DeWalt, with a slightly different aluminium extrusion, but with readily-available spare blades - the only downside being that I'd have to order it from Europe). The Tyzack (also available badged as 'Kubala' in Europe) would be an acceptable 3rd choice.

The L'outil Parfait and Tyzack/Kubala spats are an extruded plastic handle, which some people view as a positive, as they don't draw heat out of the user's fingers during winter use. Personally, I prefer the peace of mind of an extruded aluminium handle, as it may be less likely to distort over the longterm, or if accidentally left on a dashboard or window sill during the summer.

Hopefully, you can now see that, in spite of my challenging questions about the Nela spat, I am actually a genuine potential customer!

SuperPROF Comfort Profile, just got to round the corners off and it's the best spat out there, the cheap underdog 100% the best don't give a f**k what you say

Well...

now I know why we've seen nothing real about spare blades for the Nela Edge spats, in spite of promises.

They're a beautifully made spat, but I returned mine.

Maybe I'll get an aluminium Storch spat at some point, but for now, I've decided to go with a 1200 Speedskim SF (steel edge). Not perfect, and don't like the handle profile, but Ox really have their distribution sorted, so spare blades are extremely easy to obtain, and having seen both the ST and the Nela Edge firsthand, I know I've made the right choice (even though I can appreciate the build quality of the Nela Edge spats).

Well...

now I know why we've seen nothing real about spare blades for the Nela Edge spats, in spite of promises.

Maybe I'll get an aluminium Storch spat at some point, but for now, I've decided to go with a 1200 Speedskim SF (steel edge). Not perfect, and don't like the handle profile, but Ox really have their distribution sorted, so spare blades are extremely easy to obtain, and having seen both the ST and the Nela Edge firsthand, I know I've made the right choice (even though I can appreciate the build quality of the Nela Edge spats).
I’m pissed

Well...

Patience is a virtue. Things dont happen overnight

Patience is a virtue. Things dont happen overnight

I didn't send it back due to lack of patience.

I sent it back because there is something fundamentally flawed with its design.

Something which you haven't warned anyone about, presumably due to a conflict of interest?

Last edited:

Something which you haven't warned anyone about, presumably due to a conflict of interest?

What was wrong with it exactly?

Been using one, and wondered if it's the same agg?

Morning All,

As many of you have already seen, we are pleased to announce that NELA has now introduced the Black Edition to the market

Some have said its a gimmick, or a marketing ploy and its simply just a black handle. No doubt there has been some great marketing in this, however, there are some key fundamental differences with the new trowel that has been launched, not just a pretty handle.

After several months of testing various trowels, dimensions and widths, we have launched the new Black Edition FLEX, they key differences to note are;

NELAFLEX MKII Gold Edition has a 0.3mm blade with a width of 4.3"
NELA MediFLEX has a 0.4mm blade and a width of 4.9"

With the new Black Edition, it has a 0.4mm blade with a total width of 4.72"

The differences may seem small on paper, but it totally changes the performance of the trowel. This new version has all the benefits of a FLEX yet has more rigidity. Alongside these differences the quality of Steel is higher, increasing the price slightly, but creating a more robust and durable trowel which should not wear down as fast as previous models

View attachment 42735

Also coming into the range is the new NELA EDGE, the new design of the spatula allows for various blades to be used, both Metal and Plastic, with various thicknesses to suit the application.
With interchangeable blades, a high quality support arm, this really is a fantastic product which has been priced very well.

All prices can be found on our website: www.plasterers1stopshop.co.uk - the new NELA EDGE is due to arrive before Christmas, the trowel is in stock!
View attachment 42736
At what stage would you use this? Earlier than the super flex as it’s more rigid?

Whats fundamentally flawed with its design? I’m actually intrigued as I haven’t heard anything really negative - bar the blades not being available yet

I also haven’t had any of our dealers return one reporting someone has returned their own one. Unsure what conflict there would be, I offer three different types of spat and offer the choice to the end user, in all honesty, it doesn’t matter to me which one you buy from our range

Fu cking hell , what happened to a good old fashioned trowel :tonto: :coffe: