New member, new method

Members online

And as we all know, quicker is always better; NOT!

I agree - I cringed when I first saw the video I posted, above.

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that the standard of many new builds in the UK has gone so low it's in the gutter. Quality of materials and methods is being relentlessly cut, slashed, butchered, and generally eroded, all in the name of profiteering and speed. Barely a year goes by without some building company or other making headlines for all the wrong reasons, and it's the people who've spent their life savings on their cardboard cornflake-packet houses that are left picking up the pieces - literally and financially - and with little hope of a decent resale price to cut their losses.
Houses built at the beginning of the 20th century will be standing for 100-200 yrs.
Houses built now, at the beginning of the 21st century, will probably struggle to last 30-40yrs.

When I see how the USA, Australia, and much of Europe is just throwing up sheetrock/plasterboard (often using paper-thin non-combustible metal U-channel studs, instead of 2x4 timber), using vinyl or cardboard beads, taping and mudding the joins, and then just painting it, I hang my head and think WTF has the building trade come to? A mate of mine used to be on a maintenance contract for several UK estate agencies, and he was endlessly being called to repair television mounts, curtain rails, etc. that had been installed onto metal-stud gyproc walls that have only enough structural integrity to support themselves and nothing more. It's even worse for kitchen fitters.

I really hope traditional plastering manages to stay alive in the UK, against the onslaught of profit-driven shortcut-taking, 'tape&mud' merchants (one case in point, being right here on the forum, and I reckon we're going to see a lot more of these threads, in the near future: https://plasterersforum.com/threads/help-my-worker-has-skimmed-using-easi-filler.78281/)

How did I miss this thread , I’m all ears.
No billy big balls from me but a lot of guys round my way call me the King of Skim
Am always interested in new tips or tricks

How did I miss this thread , I’m all ears.
No billy big balls from me but a lot of guys round my way call me the King of Skim
Am always interested in new tips or tricks
FFs Vincey .....thought you had had enough and was getting out the trade and into selling mystery meat burgers out the side of an old transit van or something . Admit it plastering makes your winky twitch ...... :sisi: