New plasterer starting out

Alfieburge

Hi guys would just like to introduce myself my names Alfie I’m 26 Im from the Wirral been in the plastering scene for about 5 years started labouring been on the tools now for the last 3 years. I am in the process of going self employed and plastering for myself am just struggling getting new customers and finding jobs is there any information anyone could give on any tips I could try on getting jobs any help will be massively appreciated

1. spend 5,000 at least on a good van, plus 5,000 in your buisness account,.........no i am not joking,
2. get contacts made with 2/3 builders, ........regular work, extensions etc,
3. need at least 4/6 weeks work lined up,......then its up to you, do a good job and you will be okay,
4. public liability insurance is a must, peace of mind,
5.the best form of getting repeat work is doing a good job, cleaning up after you,
6.get some good buisness cards printed, and site sorted out on the internet thingy,
7. do not listen to our southern freinds on this forum, it is called a handboard, nothing else,
8. good radio permanently tuned into radio 4,
9. trust nobody , make sure you get paid,
10. just do a good job, and the work will come in, it will not happen overnight, be patient.

1. spend 5,000 at least on a good van, plus 5,000 in your buisness account,.........no i am not joking,
3. need at least 4/6 weeks work lined up,......then its up to you, do a good job and you will be okay,
5.the best form of getting repeat work is doing a good job, cleaning up after you,
6.get some good buisness cards printed, and site sorted out on the internet thingy,
7. do not listen to our southern freinds on this forum, it is called a handboard, nothing else,
10. just do a good job, and the work will come in, it will not happen overnight, be patient.

He's 26 not 87.

f**k radio 4.

Hawk all day long,

10k+ on a van 3k should set you up on tools.

Rest is standard.

Trust nobody up north

You forgot to mention charging a fair rate so not to undercut local spreads. £300 minimum per day. Good luck.

When I started out on my own I used to work until 7-8pm on my own making sure everything was perfect. Sometimes later. It was very tough for the first 5 years. Worked weekends to.

Thank you very much for the replies an I have been involved in domestic plastering for the last few years with a well established plasterer who taught me he had 20 years experience he taught me I haven’t learnt this in collage went from being a roofing labourer to thinking I’ll give plastering a go in the end it come to the point where I was base coating small houses for rendering jobs scraping and finishing k rend and other renders, an I already have a 16 plate fiat fiorino waiting on the front and loads of tools far from just the basics was just wanting advice for the future really thank you.

You are always only as good as your last job pal always remember that and you’ll be fine
Good luck

Good advice mate always one I used remember when my mates were out on the beers messaging me while i still had a couple of hours to go to finish up. Always tell my improver that i would miss a holiday to make sure a job is perefect and the customer is happy. He thinks i'm mentally r******d. Different mindset mate.

Go to bed
IMG_0168.jpeg
IMG_0167.jpeg

combination of crohns disease, methotexterate the drug i take for it,
sleep apnia, wear a face mask every night which in turn is connected to a machine which pumps air into my chest, which keeps me breathing, disturbed sleep patterns every night just wonderfull.

Best of luck mate, a friend of mine has the same thing.