1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie needs advice for fireplace arch

Discussion in 'Plastering Students Discussions' started by Alex Hunter, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Alex Hunter

Alex Hunter New Member

Hi,

I’m new here :)

I’m currently drylining a chimney breast and builder’s opening (cement boarding the inside of the opening).

The fireplace/opening has a brick arch and I would like to retain this feature without having to square it off.

I’m drylining the face of the chimney breast and will shape the plasterboard sheets to the front face of the arch. However I’m not sure how to finish the arch underneath? I’ve bought a plastic arch angle bead which I will attach onto the arch edge, but please can anyone offer advice on how to finish the arch return?

Bonding cost and then attach the corner bead and skim or use plasterboard scored width ways to create a slight curve, then skim?

Also is it ok to use plasterboard on the fireplace arch? Cement board would never bend!! Any other ways of doing it?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks Alex

2. vfr12

vfr12 Private Member

@Marshy :love:. He is the man- competitive and goes always beyond expectations to satisfy his customers

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Cockney1

Cockney1 Active Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Marshy

Marshy Private Member

Can you get some pics up @Alex Hunter ?? That would help. And take some of the customer if she's a milf aswell (y)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Alex Hunter

Alex Hunter New Member

@Marshy I’m the customer!

That’s me in the picture. Read my profile

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Alex Hunter

Alex Hunter New Member

:tonto:@Marshy @Cockney1 @vfr12 This is a serious question by the way! I know I’m female but come on! Are females not allowed on this forum?! :burlas:

• Like Like x 1
  7. JessThePlasterer

JessThePlasterer Well-Known Member

You could render the arch instead

8. Alex Hunter

Alex Hunter New Member

Thanks for the sensible reply Jess!

Change of plan now; as I’ve lined the inside of the opening with hardiebacker I need to put a closure plate at the top of the opening. This means that I’d need to ensure that the plasterboard came down to meet this closure plate (which is square). So unfortunately it looks like I’m going to have to sacrifice the arch....

Also if I didn’t make sure the plasterboard on the chimney breast came lower than the arch you would be able to see the top of the cement board!

I’m trying to upload a picture of the said fireplace but it’s proving difficult. :mad:

For future reference Jess what would you use to render, I know it needs to be fireproof?

Thanks

9. Alex Hunter

Alex Hunter New Member

10. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

11. JessThePlasterer

JessThePlasterer Well-Known Member

@Alex Hunter sand cement as standard. I had our bricky skin sides and build new arch on mine so the bricks gave a lip to board up to. Way easier and I love brickwork :)

Attached Files:

12. zombie

zombie Private Member

Let him pay for a plasterer!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Vincey

Vincey Private Member

Small job but zombies right there’s more to doing this job , plasterers get paid for there knowledge and skill this is probably the most important part of that job , I’d definitely rip those boards back off , they shouldn’t be on there for sure

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. zombie

zombie Private Member

Tbf they look like cement boards which is correct...

But if not then yes defo would need to come off!

15. vfr12

vfr12 Private Member

Yeah, get @Marshy on board@Alex Hunter, I was genuine with my advice!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Marshy

Marshy Private Member

No

17. Marshy

Marshy Private Member

Course they are the more the merrier

18. Fatarm

Fatarm Trainee mod

Just think Marshy if her first name was milf......would suit you just fine:LOL:

• Funny Funny x 2